Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Pieces Worth Saving," A Mini Whirligig, Pattern & Tute >

"Pieces Worth Saving," A Mini Whirligig, Pattern & Tute

"Pieces Worth Saving," A Mini Whirligig, Pattern & Tute

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
"p.s. I see 2 of my fabrics!! " n2 and I have this little "I spy" game going on--in the myriad of fabrics she chooses, once in a while I see one of mine. Guess it's turnabout!

Well I've put a border on and am working a crumb outer border. If you've seen some of my posted topics--I'm crawling out of my little box on this quilt!

My second border is a crumby one. I have cut 2 foundation strips 2 1/2" wide and about 36" long. I can chain piece between the two strips with some crumbs and strips. Back to sewing!

I'm not sure how this will all look in the end. It'll be a surprise to me, too.
That looks very nice so far, G!! I really like the crumb strip you are doing on the foundation. I did the same thing for an inner border on Happy Lappy and I loved how it turned out! Also, I like your lavendar border as well. Actually, this is the first time, G, I've ever noticed any of my fabrics in your quilts because I could never see your quilts close enough before!!! hahaha. Better get that camera moving closer, haha!!

:D :D ;)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

ne 2 wrote " Actually, this is the first time, G, I've ever noticed any of my fabrics in your quilts because I could never see your quilts close enough before!!! hahaha. Better get that camera moving closer, haha!! "
It's called not having to resize my pictures as much because I am off dial up!

Ok-so here's what I have progressed so far. I hope to get it FMQ's tomorrow, bound and done. It will finish close to 17 inches.

Just part of one of the 36 " crumby strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]163291[/ATTACH]

This one's all trimmed for one side of the border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]163295[/ATTACH]

All four crumby borders put on
[ATTACH=CONFIG]163296[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163286.jpe   attachment-163290.jpe   attachment-163291.jpe  
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM

ne 2 wrote " Actually, this is the first time, G, I've ever noticed any of my fabrics in your quilts because I could never see your quilts close enough before!!! hahaha. Better get that camera moving closer, haha!! "
It's called not having to resize my pictures as much because I am off dial up!

Ok-so here's what I have progressed so far. I hope to get it FMQ's tomorrow, bound and done. It will finish close to 17 inches.
It looks fantastic!! I just love doing the crumb strips because it goes so fast and it's a great way to use up those scraps! Looking forward to seeing it all FMQ tomorrow!

;-)
Old 03-13-2011, 02:11 AM

Love that border. It really sets the quilt off. Great little quilt!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Okay here's the quilting done, now to bind. Not sure if I'll get that done tonight. I SID in the darker blades of the 9 blocks and small Stipple Quilted in the lighter blades. SQ'd in the outer border. Not sure what color binding I'll put on; could reinforce color with a lavendar one or maybe a yellow. Will audition and then show when finished. The darker blades didn't pop as much as I thought they would.

All quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169570[/ATTACH]

A close up of one corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169565.jpe   attachment-169566.jpe  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Okay here's the quilting done, now to bind. Not sure if I'll get that done tonight. I SID in the darker blades of the 9 blocks and small Stipple Quilted in the lighter blades. SQ'd in the outer border. Not sure what color binding I'll put on; could reinforce color with a lavendar one or maybe a yellow. Will audition and then show when finished. The darker blades didn't pop as much as I thought they would.
That made up real cute, G!! I love stipple quilting.

:-D :-D
Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Thanks n2.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Scraplvr, thanks for this great post, I really love your work. It is so nice for you to share your talents with the rest of us, thanks again!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Thanks n2.
Your welcome, G!! You know what? This is the first time I've ever seen anyone quilt 'in the ditch' like you did! I've only seen it done 1/4" away from the ditch so as to highlight the blocks around it as it causes the pieces to pop! The pieces can't pop the way you did it, but it is interesting. Won't it weaken the threads where the blocks meet? I heard a funny thing from one of the male quilters here say that he hits the ditch every time he crosses it!! haha. Not sure what that would look like either!

:D 8-)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JEM65
Scraplvr, thanks for this great post, I really love your work. It is so nice for you to share your talents with the rest of us, thanks again!
Your welcome, JEM65! I just love sharing with all of you here on the board and am so tickled others like what I do. They'll be more coming!! haha. Just when I was thinking of getting out of quiltng, everyone wants to see more! LOL.

:D 8-) :wink: :roll: