Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!  Not turning out like I thought >

HELP! Not turning out like I thought

HELP! Not turning out like I thought

Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I started hand quilting my UFO for the challenge and it is not standing out like I pictured it. I picked a medium green section to start with and used dark brown DMC thread. I got half of one leaf done and was not happy so I took the stitches out (took three times longer than it did to put them in) I used one strand of the floss. I am wondering if it should be thicker, BUT I hesitate to start again. If it is still difficult to see, I will have to take it out again. I am don't know if I should just go with ordinary white quilting thread. Can you give me some opinions?

Thanks,
Anne
Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Banned

If you want contrast, you need to use a light thread on a med or dark fabric and the reverse, dark thread on a light fabric.

But quilting is not always done in contrasting threads, much of the effect achieved in the quilting is the texture added to piece, not the contrast of color. An example is the quilting done in white on white.. you dont see the thread, just the texture created by the quilting...

Also, for hand quilting, I would not use DMC embroidery floss.. I dont think that it is a strong enough thread for quilting. 50 or 40 wt cotton thread on a spool is better. Or regular hand quilting thread.

A thin thread will tend to become part of the fabric... also adding to the reason you did not see a contrast of color.

My 10 cents worth....
Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Are you talking about "standing out" as texture? Slip a little more batting under the leaf area. Be careful with stitching - or use tearaway underneath - to avoid puckering. the background areas near it can be quilted heavily, to flatten in comparison. It's all about contrasts.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Thanks. I was trying for the thread to stand out from the fabric. The brown was very dark and the green was fairly light. BUT the single thickness of the thread was not enough. Will have to wait till I can get to a store and get real colored hand quilting thread.

I am afraid that putting more batting will make it too bulky, as I use Warm and Natural and it also would mean cutting leaf shapes in that as well. I would also have to unpin the top and I am afraid I would make a mess of that. Will just continue to work on the other one, until I can get to the store.

Appreciate the comments.

Anne
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 AM

I used a varigated No. 5 Pearle cotton floss .

Linda D.

Is this more of what you had in mind?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19380[/ATTACH]

now don't look too hard at my stitches....they are far from perfect andthis is my first quilt by hand project.......lol.......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19418[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19380.jpe   attachment-19418.jpe  
Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

You know, I bet that would make a difference. If it is shiny and a bit thicker, it could make all the difference in the world. I cut leaf templates out of plastic and trace around them in chalk. There are so many fall fabrics in this quilt, I have gone into the "what was I thinking mode". :-)

I want to tell you that your quilt is lovely. What a nice job.

Anne
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boston1954
You know, I bet that would make a difference. If it is shiny and a bit thicker, it could make all the difference in the world. I cut leaf templates out of plastic and trace around them in chalk. There are so many fall fabrics in this quilt, I have gone into the "what was I thinking mode".

Anne :-)
and with the thicker thread you will be taking bigger quilting stitches.
That will help them show up too
Old 09-20-2008, 02:31 PM

I would recommend AGAINST using DMC floss--some of it is not colorfast. I have had personal experience with it fading on a quilt top and will NEVER use it on a quilt again!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

you can rinse your pearl cotton in water and vinegar to set the color. air dry
Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Boston1954 - Fall fabrics? I wanna see it!!!!! Please post picture of what you have so far! I went to your challenge thread hoping to see it there, but no luck. :(