Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Displaying a Quilt >
  • Displaying a Quilt

• Displaying a Quilt

Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM

I finished the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt and plan to donate it to our local Threserman's Reunion Chapter, they will sell raffle tickets for it, but plan to display it from now till Labor Day in different locations in town, How do you think we could display it without damaging it?, It will be displayed at the Library, Museum, town hall etc. Looked at the tension racks but they would have to be screwed into the wall and probably not feasible. It is a Queen Size Quilt. thanks for any suggestions
    Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Qbird
    I finished the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt and plan to donate it to our local Threserman's Reunion Chapter, they will sell raffle tickets for it, but plan to display it from now till Labor Day in different locations in town, How do you think we could display it without damaging it?, It will be displayed at the Library, Museum, town hall etc. Looked at the tension racks but they would have to be screwed into the wall and probably not feasible. It is a Queen Size Quilt. thanks for any suggestions
    :lol: Those threshermen are pretty handy-dandy, so have them build you a display rack out of steel piping ... screws together with pipe fittings for the corners and a good solid steel base for weight. Then slide the quilt pocket onto the frame across the top. Perhaps put a pocket at the bottom, so you can slide another pipe in to weight it down and if you want to make it good and solid, then have it screw into the main frame.

I'm really intrigued with this quilt pattern ..... would you please show us a picture of your finished quilt?
    Please and thanks!
    Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 PM

My computer skills are not up to displaying a photo, sorry, there is a Farmer's wife thread going, and that is how I started on this, in fact made 2 blocks as I went alone, so have one to donate and 1 for myself, I used Kansas Troubles mostly, by Moda, and tried to get it looking much the same as Lori Hird's (the author of the book) Awsome looking quilt, go for it, and check out all the beautiful pictures of the Farmer's wife thread.
    Pipe sounds pretty heavy to move around, I wonder it pvc pipe would hold it up? and could get my farmer husband to work on that? thanks for the reply My son posted the avatar, so maybe when he comes to the farm in a couple weeks, will ask him to post it for me.
    Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 PM
    Power Poster

I wondered about PVC, though thinking of the size, thought it may not be as stable .... farmer husband will have the engineering ability!!! (I'm from the farm too!) Turn it over to the men ... you did the sewing, now they can organise the display option!

I'd never heard about this pattern til a week or so ago ... of course, the farmer in me was attracted to the name and made me want to go for it!

I've found very few good pictures of the whole quilts finished ... any good links you recommend?

Just to confirm .... are the blocks 6-1/2" unfinished (vs. finished) ... and are any of them appliqued? or all pieced?
    Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM

I would think Laurie Hird would have a good picture of the quilt as it is on the cover of her book, The blocks were 6 1/2 inch finished but then down to 6 with the sashing attached. I machine pieced all my blocks, but others on the thread, paperpieced them, the only thing I appliqued was the basket handles, some of the blocks had 40 pieces in them but were fun to work with, out of the box for me, as I usually applique or embroider with the machine, but now have started a log cabin, and am loving this piecing thing. didn't like scrappy but getting into it.
    Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
    Power Poster

I think you mean 6-1/2" unfinished (meaning before sashing)... as it's 6" finished with the sashing sewn on?

I was on her site before and went back now to check again ... all I could find is a small picture ... small enough that I can't really see each block. Maybe she doesn't want to show it off much, to prevent people from looking at it and making it without her pattern?
    Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 AM

How about an old wooden ladder to drape it over or a paint easel. Both would be portable and would set up easily at each location. That is how we display quilts for raffle at the Nursing Home I worked at. A couple of safety pins or ribbon to make a gather at the top to drape ver either one.
    Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 AM

Our guild has PVC display racks and we use clip-type hangers to display the quilts at our fall show. They're pretty heavy duty and break down for storage.
    Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 AM
    MTS
    Banned

What a great honor to have your quilt displayed all over your community!

Please make sure that each venue has the appropriate security for your quilt, and that's it's safely locked in or up each night. ;-)

Good luck with the raffle sales.
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
    What a great honor to have your quilt displayed all over your community!

Please make sure that each venue has the appropriate security for your quilt, and that's it's safely locked in or up each night. ;-)

Good luck with the raffle sales.
    Very good points!
    ....... and safe from sticky hands that want to touch! YIKES!!!!!
    You might want to invest in a piece of heavy vinyl to cover it when it's on display. No matter how careful you are, there'll be that moment that ......... (and you don't want that to happen!!)

Another thought ... check with your Local Quilt Guild and see if they have display racks you could borrow.