Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half square triangles >

Half square triangles

Half square triangles

Old 11-23-2006, 05:19 PM

My question is how do you determine the measurement of a half square triangle when you are attaching it to a square? After I sew my two triangle pieces together, when I attach it to another quilt piece it's always smaller than I need because of the seam allowance.

Barbara
Old 11-23-2006, 06:42 PM

Barbara, if you are making half square triangles (HST's) to fit with 3 1/2" squares, you need to have your squares for your HSTs to be 3 7/8" to begin with and sew 1/4" from the center diagonal line you mark on it. You should end up with 2 HSTs that measure 3 1/2"

I actually sew a scant 1/4" and works really well.

Hope this helps........if I didn't explain it enough, let me know.

Ellen
Old 11-23-2006, 06:54 PM

I oversize my HSTs and then cut them down. So if I want a 3 1/2" HST, I take 2 4" squares, place them right sides together, draw a line from corner to corner on the back of one. Then I sew a scant 1/4" seam on either side of that line. Then I cut the square in-half by cutting along the drawn line. I iron the HSTs open. Now I have 2 4" HSTs. I use a quilt ruler that has a 45-degree line on it. I line that up with the seam in the HST and use it to cut the HST down to the size I want.

Hope this makes sense. It is a super easy way and has never failed me!

Barb
Old 11-26-2006, 06:29 AM

I had always had problems with my HST's also until I started doing the method that BarbC just told you about. Its a little more work than just cutting and sewing and hoping for the best. But the results are very rewarding. When squaring up and cutting down to size be sure and put your block on an angle mark and cut down gradually. But other than thats its very simple. Hope this helps you as HST's are fun and really dress up a quilt.

Rita
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 AM

If you have a lot of HST to make, there's a CD available: "Half Square Triangulations" from bearpawproductions.com

You can print out a pattern for HSTs from 1/2" to 7 1/2" in 1/8" increments. Great product.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 AM

Good explanation, Barb. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Suz

I recently saw a demo on making four HST. She took two pieces of fabric, right sides together. Then she stitched 1/4" all around the four sides. She cut from corner to corner and then corner to corner (or an "X"). When opened, she had four identical HST. WOW!!

The down side of this technique is that the outside edges are on the bias, so handle carefully! Stabilize against a straigh-grain piece.

Suz

PS: I don't know how much to add to the finished size, but I am guessing 1-1/4". Anyone know for sure?