Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
backaches at sewing machine >

backaches at sewing machine

backaches at sewing machine

Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Here is something that might help you, as it sure has been effective for me:
Go to the hardware dept. or any hardware store, and purchase Two of the rubber door stoppers. Place these under your machine at the back. This put a tip to your machine so you do not have to stoop under to see the needle. Some how it makes your posture better and show the needle in a better view... Try it and let us know if it helps.... I do know the height of your table/machine does make a difference as well....
hope this helps!!! :lol: ;-)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
Originally Posted by JulieTN
Blu? what is a lifter?
Julie
Sometimes I use door stops! Put 2 or 3 under your machine in the back and they lift it up so you can see better(I am short). I don't have to bend as much but I am a bender. I even bend when I am cutting even though I use a table that is high. I take breaks every 45-60 minutes and this helps.
Ha Ha. I guess you posted this just as I was typing my reply.... :thumbup:
Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 AM

I have severe back and neck pain for 15 years now. In fact I finally had neck surgery last Thursday. I often had severe pain from sewing. I have that Body Right Posture Brace, but with my problems, the benefits were minimal. Tilting your machine with doorstops helps some. But I usually sit at my machine and use heat and ice packs alternately for about 20 minute on and 2 minutes off. That seems to help me the most!! But ultimately the surgery was the only thing that was really going to fix my problem. Good Luck!!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM

I get up and move several times but my back will hurt no matter what I do so I just deal with it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Read the post for "what chair do you use"? There are a lot of great tips there.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 AM

I used to get get horrid neck and shoulder pain when i sewed, and it was worse when i quilted...then i got a sewing machine with auto pilot(you don't have to use the foot pedal)...and it was the best thing i've ever done! i can sew for hours now with no pain at all...i am convinced that my pain came from having to use the foot pedal...no matter how ergonomically correct everything else is, it is unnatural to sit with your foot on a foot pedal, i think it threw everything else out of whack. there are a lot of brands selling machines with auto pilot now, and the push button start/stop was amazingly easy to get used to!! go to a dealer and try one for a half hour or so...you should know right away if it will make a difference...sure did for me! Donna
Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Try tipping your machine towards you. I use a large door stop (way cheaper than what they sell at the quilt stores). It will make you not lean over so much. I also get up and iron often so I don't get so sore
Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Been there- my first job was sewing in a small factory. I am long waisted and the machine was set for the petite boss. 4 years later I had 4 bulging disks in my neck. Try an adjustable office chair and/or get a donut cushion to aleave stress. if necessary put your table on 2x4 blocks to make you sit taller- MJ
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM

I have one of those weighted back things from Nancy's Notions. I love it. I have a friend who is a physical therapist and he said that is an excellent thing to use. I can really tell a difference if I don't use it.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 AM

I get backaches bad!! Just decided to buy the Back Brace seen in the Clotilde Catalog! It is called Body Rite Posture Pleaser. you can go online to review it... clotilde.com