Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've been hit >

I've been hit

I've been hit

Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 AM

Several years ago I had a quilt that had what I thought were premanent stains on it My daughter was refinishing a piece of furniture and accidently got the wood stripping on the quilt. It ended up with small brown wood stain spots on it that resembled splotches of paint The quilt was very special to me and I was devastated. I went on line and found a recipe for a soak. I have since lost that recipe but I do remember that it contained 20 Mule Team Borax and Oxyclean ( I think thats what its called) it may have had baking soda as well, I wish I could recall. I soaked the quilt for almost a week and watched in amazement as the stain became smaller and lighter until it was totally and completely gone. I did the happy dance!
Anyway, dont give up hope. Google for the laundry recipe and soak your quilt. I'm thinking you can get that stain out with a minimal amount of effort. Geez I hope this helps...
Good Luck to you
Mikki
Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 AM

I have never had this problem. I put the sheets of stuff in the wash that catch the color, use cold water, and ALWAYS add white vinegar to the water before I put the piece in.
White vinegar is an old remedy that my MIL taught me.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Omg!!! i am so sorry this has happened to you!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 AM

I haven't used it on a quilt but I have used the Shout Color Catchers in a second wash for items that bled when washed and then dried in the dryer. Most, if not all, of it has come out in the second wash. Oxyclean is great too.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 AM

If you can find Awesome at the Dollar Store or Family Dollar it will take stains out of fabric that has been washed and dried.sometimes. Good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
get some Synthrapol and wash with it. it removes any excess colors and they go away in the rinse.
good luck.
Synthrapol...is that a brand name? What stores do you find it in?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM

I've heard that if you wash it again with another colour catcher it will come out more from the spots it is not supposed to be.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM

I don't normally prewash, but Really dark or heavy colors I do. Red Blue and Yellow seem to be the worst so far for running.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
I don't normally prewash, but Really dark or heavy colors I do. Red Blue and Yellow seem to be the worst so far for running.
And turquoise, orange, and purple. Sometimes black and brown.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by kittycats
I just finished a 92x108 quilt for my DH. Sprayed off the markings with water. As usual I put it in the washer with cold water to soak any marks that did not come out, along w/color catchers. Well, there was so much blue overdye on the backing that it bled thru to the beige on the front of the quilt. Needless to say, I will from now on prewash ALL fabric before I make another quilt. I have never ever had this happen before. Guess I have learned a lesson the hard way. The front now has a really dull greyish blue look.
I'VE definitely been there, my suggestion is to wash it again using more color catchers and see if that takes out the extra dye from both sides. I hope you didn't put it in the dryer. Good luck!!