Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What color border would you use? >

What color border would you use?

What color border would you use?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

This is my second pieced quilt..I did the Summer In the Park using 2- Pick A Bunch Jelly Rolls by Nancy Mims for Robert Kaufman & 2- Moda Bella Solids White Jelly Rolls.

I want a white border with a matching color from the quilt top and I think the backing would look good matching the color part of the border. Do I put the white border next to the pieced top or the color border next to the pieced top. I also want to put a binding on...so don't know what color to make it.

So far the quilt top is 80 in long and 72 in wide. I will be hand quilting it.

Any help with the color choice would be so appreciated...I am not good at that..that is why I love the collections..they have done it for me.
Thanks a bunch!! Hugs, Dee in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215725.jpe   attachment-215726.jpe  
Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM

I would do the color border first to give the eye a rest - before adding the white border. As for binding, I would piece together the strips and make it one colorful binding! Good luck.. Beautiful quilt, by the way
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM

I would do a really narrow border in a bold color - the dark blue or red and then I'd probably try to find a bold print that picks up a few of the other colors for the outer border.......just my random opinion :)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Hi Dee, that's such a lovely quilt. My opinion is a narrower white border, then a wider one from the color of your choice with matching binding.
I don't like white bindings b/c they don't always stay white LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

What a great quilt. So cheery. My first inclination is that great light blue solid in the quilt would be a wonderful first border. My second choice would be yellow. Very narrow to "stop" the quilt. Then your white border or a white on white, like polka dots, and also a white binding. That would be a very clean and vintage look for this cheerful work.

Go wild on the backing and find a fabric that has all the colors in the quilt top! WOW!
peace :D
Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM

I would do either of the darker colors..blue, yellow or orange
Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 PM

I'd try out a few and see what they look like before deciding. Each color will give such a different feel to the finished quilt. I think a narrow in one color, then a little wider white, then a wider in another color. Binding you could test drive that too based on your other choices. Most often I use the same for binding that I did for inner border. I would not use white for binding. Start with your favorites and see where it leads you.

It is a great quilt by the way!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
I would do a really narrow border in a bold color - the dark blue or red and then I'd probably try to find a bold print that picks up a few of the other colors for the outer border.......just my random opinion :)
I agree! I think a white border doesn't add much to the quilt other than making it larger. A print would finish it off nicely. Great quilt...I've added this to my list.

Here's a link to the method for anyone who's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5WgTyqB8Pc
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hi Dee, that's such a lovely quilt. My opinion is a narrower white border, then a wider one from the color of your choice with matching binding.
I don't like white bindings b/c they don't always stay white LOL
My thoughts exactly :lol:
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM

I see a strip that is red with flowers that are primarily white with yellow and blue accents. That strip incorporates the most of your colors so that I would try that for a border. I would put the white border next to the quilt body, then the red with flowers, then bind with a blue (cooler color) that matches the blue accent of the flower in the colored strip.