Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique eyes and layer ? >

Applique eyes and layer ?

Applique eyes and layer ?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Applique eyes and layer ?

I am currently working on my first applique project. It is a penguin table runner for my dad for Christmas. (hes a coach and their team is the penguins) I have the top done, but now I am not sure what my next step should be. I have to make eyes.. just little black dots, but I am not sure what the best way to do that is, and then my next question is... when sewing over the applique penguins do I go through the top and the batting, or the top batting AND the backing? And then finally do I applique first or quilt the runner first? Not sure what the norm is. Any help or tips are appreciated. I am planning on sewing by hand around the appliques if that makes a difference.

PS I hope that all makes sense. lol
Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

When I applique, I usually use wonder-under to fuse the shapes in place. I use the buttonhole stitch on my Bernina to keep the edges from lifting or I zigzag the edges. I do all the detail work before I make the "sandwich". My Bernina has a cute little circle that it stitches by itself that I use for eyes. It's between a 1/8 -1/4 inch size. It is actually for doing a finish for draw strings, maybe your machine has something similar? When the top is finished to my satisfaction, I make the sandwich, quilt it and bind it. You could use tiny buttons for eyes when your tablerunner is all done.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Thank you so much. That is is exactly all the info that I needed. I still have a second one to do (snowmen) 3 lap quilts to tie, and a fourth quilt that I havent even started all before Christmas. I am starting to think I am not going to make it LOL. I saw cute tiny buttons at joanns but didnt even think about those. Those would be perfect for the eyes!! Thanks again.