Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can't close top of sewing cabinet - hinge won't slide >

Can't close top of sewing cabinet - hinge won't slide

Can't close top of sewing cabinet - hinge won't slide

Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Can't close top of sewing cabinet - hinge won't slide

Okay, I feel stupid here. But I can't get this top closed for anything!! It is a hinged top of sorts. The hinge should slide down the back of the table in a long groove. But there is no sliding, there isn't a release of any sort on the table back or underside - can't figure it out. Tried spraying some WD40 on it, didn't help. I have posted a couple of pictures below so if anyone out there has a table that closes in this way - maybe you can let me know the trick to getting the top closed? The 3rd picture is the wood thing that comes out and supports the table when it is opened - it should slide all the way back in. But - this is as closed as I can get it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]310062[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]310063[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]310064[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails table-opened-machine-down.jpg   view-hinge.jpg   table-end.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Makes me think that it has a spring in there somewhere. Have you tried to shift it side to side as you are closing?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Yes I have. Nothing. I managed to get it closed a couple of times. There was a little resistance, but it did slide shut. And then yesterday - nothing doing. Tried messing with the thick wood rod that supports the table, tried feeling up where the wood rod is in the table, tried moving manipulating the hinge thing. And it stays stuck. :-(

Originally Posted by Phannie1 View Post
Makes me think that it has a spring in there somewhere. Have you tried to shift it side to side as you are closing?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Sounds like what ever has sprang. worn out. Is there any screws underneath? It may need to be dis-a-symbled. Sorry, I looked at mined and it does not have that same "bent" My is straight metal and has a little spring you deflect inward to close.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I have one somewhere - table is all torn up from previous owner - I'm watching to see how you do it. The chain on mine worked like a saw on the table boards.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM

My mother's machine used to do that.

Try this...... with machine in 'hidden' position. Lift slightly up on machine as you close the extension. (You may have to have a friend to help.) You may find that the extension is able to close just fine.

With Mom's machine..... the anchor screws needed to be tightened on the machine as it was getting in the way of the hinge for the extension. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Last edited by BluegrassGurl; 02-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

BluegrassGurl - Yep, this worked! Actually, I had my son help me take the machine off the hinges - and we got it closed. Put the machine back on - and I believe the wood "rod" that slides into the cabinet is hitting the bottom of the sewing machine (screws are tightened all the way). Then had an aha moment about the little block of wood that had been floating around in the bottom of the cabinet. It had an actual purpose - who knew?! I wondered why this old block of wood was down there. I am sure now it was to rest the sewing machine on so that the top would slide shut without hitting the bottom of the sewing machine.

Just relieved that I can get the top shut. Will worry about whatever adjustment I need to make so this isn't an issue when I get to refinishing the cabinet (though the block of wood is certainly a no-tech solution!).
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm glad you were able to solve your problem. I just got a cabinet with a straight bar but the top is not attached to the cabinet. I have to do some woodworking the replace the hinge screws that were torn out.