very old machine..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Default very old machine..

Today i was in a local thrift store I really like. In the back I found what I thought was just a table with doors. Opened them and in side was a treadle machine. Notice the topo opened and when I did, up came this beautiful old sewing machine. Sorry I don't remember the brand, but was sold by Sears and Roebuck in 1908. (a copy of the certificate was in the drawer and they had the original in the office. Price was 350.00. How I wish I had that kind of money. I would have had it in the car in seconds. She even offered me 15% off. Sadly my budget is no where near even that. Main reason I was in the thrift store...Table was about 2 foot square and a dark wood. Just had to share...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Keep checking back, and let them know that if they come down to your budget price to please call you. They are not going to sell that machine for $350...
I wish you could have taken it home with you now too!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM

I agree tell her what u can afford and hope she calls you!!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 AM

Oh yes, make an offer to them. I agree that they will not sell the machine for the price they are asking. I would keep going back and making my offer!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM

take your time, and keep searching...last year after a three year search i found a treadle sew.machine in cabinet with all original parts, accessories, original book, oil can and tools-just needed a good cleaning and new belt.. there were even bobbins and needles in one of the drawers..the cabinet was in excellent condition as well...i paid $65.00 for the kid and kaboodle. since then i have used the machine and learned how to use the accessories etc... it sews better than my other machines. this treadle machine and cabinet was built by free sewing company of rockford illinois and patented in 1908. a serious collector may spend $350. for the machine you are looking at, but someone who is seriously looking to use a machine like this will find one eventually for much cheaper. besides, sometimes the hunt and bargain for this kind of treasure is worth the wait and search.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

i agree- keep looking - i am now on the watch for a treadle---it sure would have been nice this weekend during this power outage! last year i found my 1956 singer 99-k for only $20 and it sews like a dream---that was after looking for a couple years for a (second machine) to have - i know if i am patient and just keep looking the perfect deal will come along-
funny about my 99-k it was in such good shape= had really been taken care of-didn't even need much cleaning-about a month after i bought it i was in a thrift store-and saw another one-just like mine- except the one in the thrift store was very dirty---rusty---cracked belt- broken cord--and they had $400 on it! i almost choked! guess they thought they had a real treasure! after looking around the store i realized they really are not in the business of selling---they (think) they are some sort of fancy antique shop----which they definitly are not! anyhow---keep looking- the right deal will appear when you are ready for it
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

i agree- keep looking - i am now on the watch for a treadle---it sure would have been nice this weekend during this power outage! last year i found my 1956 singer 99-k for only $20 and it sews like a dream---that was after looking for a couple years for a (second machine) to have - i know if i am patient and just keep looking the perfect deal will come along-
funny about my 99-k it was in such good shape= had really been taken care of-didn't even need much cleaning-about a month after i bought it i was in a thrift store-and saw another one-just like mine- except the one in the thrift store was very dirty---rusty---cracked belt- broken cord--and they had $400 on it! i almost choked! guess they thought they had a real treasure! after looking around the store i realized they really are not in the business of selling---they (think) they are some sort of fancy antique shop----which they definitly are not! anyhow---keep looking- the right deal will appear when you are ready for it
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 PM

i went back and took some pictures. Sadly as the one picture shows, it looks like the bobbin and faceplate area is gone. Told them what you all said here and she was kind of surprised. even more so when i showed her the damage. hopefully I can get these pics up for you.
Attached Thumbnails old-machine-003.jpg   old-machine-001.jpg   old-machine-002.jpg   old-machine-004.jpg