Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mary Royer Strickler's Quilt >

Mary Royer Strickler's Quilt

Mary Royer Strickler's Quilt

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Default Mary Royer Strickler's Quilt

I am looking for info re: Mary Royer Strickler's mariner compass quilt. Reference to the quilt appeared in a 1973 edition of Ms Magazine. Mrs. Strickler's quilt was a very unique Mariners compass. She signed the quilt and dated it 1834. Mrs. Strickler is related to my mother's side of our family. I would love to find out more about the quilt and/or find the quilt pattern. Anyone out there know anything about this, I 'd love to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM

It googled it: http://genealogytrails.com/ill/carro...strickler.html

Nice story about it and a picture at the above link.

Shari
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks! I also found the article. We have tracked the quilt as far as two ladies who purchased the quilt together in San Francisco a number of years ago. They once had a quilt store that they named The Strickler Quilt Shop. The shop is out of business now, and we haven't been able to locate either of the women. I'm hoping someone out there will know something and can help me find the quilt or perhaps the pattern. Thanks again for your interest.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 AM

This may be a stretch but have you checked the Michigan State University Museum's quilt collection? I found an article about the mother of one of the ladies who owned the quilt store (mother's name was Mary Silber). She and her husband had donated their collection of quilts to the museum and it may be possible that some of the daughter's quilts from the shop had been given to her mother.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Found another line for you to follow. Julie Silber, one of the owners of the Strickler Quilt Shop, has another business called The Quilt Complex. They are on Facebook or you could Google them. Happy hunting.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Thanks! I'll follow up on your helpful lead.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:33 PM

I will be interested in hearing what you find out about this. I am related to some people named Strickler through my grandmother's side of the family, but I have never heard the name outside of the Central Texas area. I'm not sure where the ancestors of "my" Stricklers were from, so I may have to do a little genealogical digging to see if they were part of the group in Pennsylvania.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM

I'll let you know if I find anything more.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:26 PM

Default Found Lost Letter!

Originally Posted by Quilting Becky View Post
Thanks! I also found the article. We have tracked the quilt as far as two ladies who purchased the quilt together in San Francisco a number of years ago. They once had a quilt store that they named The Strickler Quilt Shop. The shop is out of business now, and we haven't been able to locate either of the women. I'm hoping someone out there will know something and can help me find the quilt or perhaps the pattern. Thanks again for your interest.
**I just found a lost letter from December 1966 addressed to a woman named Doris.
The letter thanks Doris for a few dresses she made. It is signed "Mary Grace Davis". In it was a business card from Mary Strickler's Quilts with Julie Silber and Linda Reuther's names on it. The envelope says Mary Strickler's Quilts "hands all around".