Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Debbie Maddy Labyrinth  Help for son's wedding quilt. >

Debbie Maddy Labyrinth Help for son's wedding quilt.

Debbie Maddy Labyrinth Help for son's wedding quilt.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 AM

Default Debbie Maddy Labyrinth Help for son's wedding quilt.

Have any of you done this quilt by Debby Maddy. It is a nice Labyrinth quilt that I would like to cut out the pieces for and have guest sign and write a sentiment at my son's wedding. I am in the process of moving and don't have time to make the quilt beforehand. I can cut out the pieces ahead of time. Would this pattern work with this idea. The wedding colors and pale yellow and dusty mauve. I need room for 145 people to write something on the quilt.
A fellow member gave me the idea of a Labyrinth and I like that idea. Her quilt had a star which my son is not very fond of stars, but this one has something different in the middle.

Thank you so much for all of your help. This is an important quilt for me to make well. I am in the process of moving, just went through a divorce and have not contributed to my son's wedding as I should have. This quilt is also a way of making amends. Thank you Grace
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 AM

Good morning Grace -
That's a beautiful quilt, it will be lovely, your gift will be a wonderful creation and have extra special meaning for your son and soon-to-be-ddil. By loving and supporting them in their life together, you are contributing more than you can imagine to their happiness, I'm sure. Especially considering what a flux your life is in right now. Will the signatures be part of the top, or the back? Will it be in the colors of the wedding, or another colorway? When you have the pieces ready for signature, will you have extras (in case people make a mistake etc.), also a picture of the quilt pattern, so they'll know how it will look when it's done?
Your gift will be wonderful, enjoy the happiness of the coming nuptials and love them both - it will only get better and better for you as you go forward, trust me, I've been there and life is so much better now than I could have dreamed it would be back then.
Hugs and happy thoughts for you!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 AM

I made the lap quilt size and it is just beautiful.......goes together like a dream! It is basically HSTs. I liked it so well that I cut the size of the HSTs to 2 1/2 inches and made a smaller one. It is about 23" square. I love them! Just make sure you have good contrast with your fabric. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 AM

It might be a good idea to mark where the 1/4" seam allowance will be so people don't write up to the outer edge of the fabric. Also, maybe iron all the pieces onto freezer paper so it won't smoosh around when people try to write on it?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
It might be a good idea to mark where the 1/4" seam allowance will be so people don't write up to the outer edge of the fabric. Also, maybe iron all the pieces onto freezer paper so it won't smoosh around when people try to write on it?
Maybe make the freezer paper a little smaller so they don't write in the seam allowance.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I think this is a beautiful quilt pattern, but I would personally look for a different pattern for a signature quilt. The blocks on this quilt are very large, and that means you will need to get quite a few signatures in each block. If one person "messes up" after other people have signed in the block, the whole block is ruined. Also I think it's harder for people to sign in and around other people's signatures. l really think all the writing would detract from the beautiful simplicity of this design. I'm sorry to be such a nay sayer, because I think it's wonderful that you are offering to make a signature quilt for your son and his bride. Actually I like the idea of using this pattern but putting the signatures on the back of the quilt rather than on the front. Or use another pattern where each person has his own little block to write his message and sign his name.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 PM

I understand. I to don't know how to post and my pictures are really crumby as I only have my camera phone.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:34 PM

I wanted the signatures to be part of the top, having each guest write on a piece of the fabric. I planned on piecing it together after the wedding. I value all of your suggestions and I'm sure hoping I don't have a problem. One member suggested putting them on freezer paper. I don't think any of the guest quilt and I would not be surprised if some signed their name on the paper. One member thought this would not be a wise choice of a pattern, so now I'm doubting a bit, but I really like that pattern. I not only wanted a signature but also a sentiment phrase or words. Keep your thoughts coming, I know I could figure out something nice with all of your help. I am open to suggestions on other patterns as well. Thank you Grace
Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
I wanted the signatures to be part of the top, having each guest write on a piece of the fabric. I planned on piecing it together after the wedding. I value all of your suggestions and I'm sure hoping I don't have a problem. One member suggested putting them on freezer paper. I don't think any of the guest quilt and I would not be surprised if some signed their name on the paper. One member thought this would not be a wise choice of a pattern, so now I'm doubting a bit, but I really like that pattern. I not only wanted a signature but also a sentiment phrase or words. Keep your thoughts coming, I know I could figure out something nice with all of your help. I am open to suggestions on other patterns as well. Thank you Grace
why not make some signature blocks with the freezer paper backing (words "write on other side" on the paper) and use it for the backing. That way you have the signatures and sentiment but not the problems of someone messing up a whole block.Have a signed block exactly how you want it pinned above the pile of sig. blocks so they get a visual This pattern is beautiful but I really don't 'see' it as a signature quilt either.There isn't a thing in the world wrong with a reversible quilt! More bang for the buck!