Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Leather chair got wet..What should I do? >

Help! Leather chair got wet..What should I do?

Help! Leather chair got wet..What should I do?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Help! Leather chair got wet..What should I do?

My son was sitting in my husband's chair. His expensive custom leather recliner from Ethan Allen. Now there is a wet spot on the seat. Why my son did not get up and go to the bathroom I will never know. I have no idea what to do. I tried to mop up any liquid but nothing came up. Does anyone know what I should do? I think I'm supposed to let it dry naturally with no heat but beyond that ...?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 PM

I would let it dry natural if there's no pee smell and then use Boot paste that you rub in. Use little circular motions with a thin rag so your body heat will warm it up....it will soak in and restore the leather and/or at least keep it from getting spotted.

You can get the Boot paste in the color of the chair with shoe polishes. Shouldn't be hard to find on L I

Last edited by Ellen; 07-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Ok, thanks. I will try that. It is a light tan leather and the spot is the size of a dinner plate. Hopefully, the boot wax will work. I think it is going to have to be reupolstered.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Oh gosh, don't be hasty in going there.....Honestly, the Wax/paste restores boots like crazy and you'd be surprised what animal liquids get on those. You might have to do it a couple of time but don't give up to fast.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 PM

There are lots of products to restore leather goods. There is saddle soap which is of coarse used on dozens of leather products. There are the products sold to restore leather coats which are sold in the speciality leather clothing stores, and then lastly there are the products that are frequently sold at the furniture stores. Have you contacted an Ethan Allen store and asked what product they recommend? This will not be a new problem to them. If the local store does not have the answer, ask for the customer service number at the national headquarters. They will have an answer. Leather is usually very forgiving. I have a set of leather chairs that have endured all sorts of things and still look brand new after a dozen years. That's one reason for buying leather.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM

I immediately called the store. They were no help. Then they gave me a number for one of the leather servicers and it was the wrong number. I will call the customer service number tomorrow and see what they say. I am hoping that they have something postive to tell me. Never the less, I am going to follow Ellen's suggestion and yours as well. My husband is so upset, as am I. I am trying to remind myself that this is what happens when one has children. I'm sure I'll be laughing about it one day. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM

I feel your pain My son Took a black Permanent marker on my brand new leather couch . Hair spray got it off (I heard the tip the week before) I still remember that was 22 years ago
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

I think I would probably treat it with Nok Out! before using the boot paste on it. Here is a link:
http://www.nokout.com/home.php