Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting advice >

batting advice

batting advice

Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Default batting advice

I am making my first queen size quilt, and will machine quilt as I go . What kind of batting should I buy, and where should I buy it? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 PM

My two favs are Dream Green and Warm and Natural. DG is cheaper and I like it just as well. Both are available at Keepsake Quilting. W&N is probably available at your LQS. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM

JoAnn fabrics, ACMoore, Michaels, Walmart will all carry pre cut bagged batting - bamboo, cotton, poly and blend in various sizes. Poly is usually the cheapest, many stores have cupons, and it is (at least for me) the easiest to work with. I consider myself a beginner quilter as well, so I did not try bamboo, but it seems to me it is too expensive to just play with. I am currently using cotton for my quilt as you go rag quilt and I do not mind it. It is softer than poly and perfect for rag quilt, but I think that I will go back to poly. Crazy I know, but it is personal preference. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Depends on how far apart the quilting is going to be because some you have to do closer and some have a scrim so you can quilt far apart, so it depends on your design and how you want the finished product to look. Poly comes out fluffier than cotton, but if you don't want bearding you need to get a high quality one because it beards( loose fibers show through the quilt top) more than cotton. Warm and natural are fave among many. Hobbs 80/20 poly cotton blend are another fave. quilters dream is also quite popular. Also the warmth is also a factor to consider. Cotton breathes better than poly. Wool batting can be nice as well
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

If you are doing QAYG blocks, then I recommend Hobbs 80/20 batt. This batt gives a nice neat cut edge that will work well for cutting your squares.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 AM

Hobbs 80/20 is a good batting. My DD uses any 100% cotton when she machine quilts.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM

I love Dream Green, but can't use it under light colored fabrics. A tinge of green shows through.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 AM

I love Quilters Dream batting and so does the lady who does my quilting...she highly recommends it. http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/d-7...t-batting.aspx
Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Puttergeo View Post
I am making my first queen size quilt, and will machine quilt as I go . What kind of batting should I buy, and where should I buy it? Thanks!
First, welcome from the wilds of western WI! If you live in a town with a Hobby Lobby, you can go to their website & get a 40% coupon, which you could use for batting. I decude what kind to use depending on the look I want the quilt to have. With reproduction fabrics, I always use either cotton (actually, usuall 80/20) or my new favorite, wool. With others, it just depends on how you want it to look. Good luck! Make sure you post a picture when you're done because I'd love to see your quilt!