Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting - Thick Seams >

Hand Quilting - Thick Seams

Hand Quilting - Thick Seams

Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Default Hand Quilting - Thick Seams

Hello Forum Members. This is my first post & I am hopeful that someone can give me some advice as I proceed with my first attempt at hand quilting. My quilt top has one area in each square where several seams meet & I have to stitch my quilt pattern right in the centre of this. I can manage my stitches just fine until I come to this one spot. No matter what I try (I am using the rocking motion for quilting) there is a problem. I have even broken 2 needles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
With thanks, LindaA (Ontario, Canada)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

I change to a stab stitch when I come to a thick seam.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

I change to stab stitch over difficult spots too. I put in pins around the problem area to prevent the fabric from moving. I push my needle straight down through the fabric and using the hand underneath the frame to catch and push the needle directly back up to the top for one stitch. I repeat this method until I am through the problem area and then remove the pins and return to the rocking stitch.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

I also think that one has to rely on the poke the needle through the thick spot from the top - and poke the needle back up through the thick stop from underneath. (also known as the stab stitch)
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 AM

I do the stab stitch(poking the needle straight down, thru all layers and then coming back up next to where I went down). Sometimes I've done a fake stitch - looks like a stitch, but it doesn't go thru all the layers, only thru the top layer.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

no quilting advice, just wanted to say Welcome to the board.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 AM

Sometimes I stab stitch, sometimes I use a modified back stitch. Mostly I try to avoid going through really thick parts.

I will also admit that sometimes I fake it, and make stitches through the top and maybe the batting, without worrying about going all the way through. Life is too short to worry about it.

Janet
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I also think that one has to rely on the poke the needle through the thick spot from the top - and poke the needle back up through the thick stop from underneath. (also known as the stab stitch)
This is what I do and no one seems to know the difference. Less frustrating than trying to do it the "usual" way.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 AM

Linda A,

It sounds like you are getting some good advice....... and Welcome to the board. There are lots of good ideas here and wonderful people so willing to help you out.

Nanna
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 AM

How do you keep the back of the quilt looking nice when you "stab stitch"? Do you turn the quilt over to go back to the top or is it ok the have the stitching line on the back as crooked as a dog's hind leg?