Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
poly-cotton vs. 100% cotton in black >

poly-cotton vs. 100% cotton in black

poly-cotton vs. 100% cotton in black

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM

Default poly-cotton vs. 100% cotton in black

i am about to embark on two more modern quilts, both of which will require black as a framing/sashing fabric.

what has your experience been with 100% cotton or using a poly blend to keep the black really black?

these quilts will both be used and washed (i hope!).

thanks!

aileen
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM

I tend to stay away from black, only because my eyesight isn't very good, and black thread is difficult to see on black fabric.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM

I prefer Kaufman black Kona. I dont think it is wise to mix 100 percent cotton with poly cotton. They will behave differently when sewing and washing.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
MTS
Banned

If the issue is the blackness of the black, for my money, this is the best darkest, sharpest black fabric out there -
Michael Miller Jet Black Solid:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...K#.UIdG5mfBaSo

Amazing how colors POP when placed next to it.
I've used it in numerous quilts.
LOVE!!!!!

You can even see the difference in the screen pics when they're placed next to the Kaufman Jet Black:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Black--srcin-1
Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM

oh right...i had forgotten about the different shrink etc. so cotton it is. i'll see if i can find the miller, but we're going to the mill shop so what will be will be.

thanks for the head's up!

aileen
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 AM

wow what a difference! Remember to purchase enough of which ever fabric you get. I often buy my black fabric by the bolt to ensure I have the same dye lot throughout the project.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 PM

I'd strongly suggest 100% cotton ONLY...I have been there. I bought a bunch of 50/50 poly/cotton. On sale..great deal etc. However, in quilting..that little bit of poly stretches.And it stretches just enough to make the square off measurement. It is also thinner than 100% cotton so you don't get the sturdiness you need for construction. I even tried spray startching it before cutting..helps for a little bit, but then..back to flimsey. I couldn't figure my problem on a quilt...all measurements were PERFECT...but that little bit of stretch of the poly was the problem.

However...having so much of hte blend...iti s great for making dresses for my little GD's.but..I use it often as I can make a match...I use it for the binding on quilts. The tiny bit of stretch that the poly gives is enough to accomodate the binding as it goes around the quilt. It is thinner so you don't get a thick binding as you might with 100% cotton. I do the way of cutting the binding twice a thick as you want it plus 1/2 inch and the fold in half, iron and then sew the raw edge side to the back of the quilt side and then fold the folded edge over to the front. Works great.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Wow, what a difference in the black. Thank You!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 PM

The laundry detergents made for dark fabrics actually work (they are chlorine-free) in reducing fading. I use a lot of black and other darks in my quilts. It's something you might consider using or suggesting.