Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hubby's giving back to the community >

Hubby's giving back to the community

Hubby's giving back to the community

Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Hubby almost died a year ago when his appendix burst. He is lucky to be alive. After all the surgery and healing began in the hospital, the doctor hit us with, "You have diabetes". It is type 2 and we have had to completely learn how to take care of his diet and exercize changes to manage it. I tell you ... it hasn't been easy.

He is doing much better now. I think he has lost somewhere around 50 pounds.

He began to feel that god had kept him alive for a reason, so he has gone to the nevada chapter of the diabetes association and organized a golf tournament to raise money for the kids here in nevada that need to learn how to manage it. I am so very proud of him for this and I wanted to share the flyer with you girls.

The community has responded so well, right up to the congressman's Reid office who called yesterday and donated towels and balls. I am going to donate a quilt for the auction and assist the cooking staff during the event.

Here is the flyers ..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34105.jpe   attachment-34390.jpe  
Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM

That is so nice!! Having fun & donating to a great cause at the same time!! Love it :D
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

As the mother of a son who has had type 1 since the age of 19, I love what you are doing! What a great way to give back!

Ninnie
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM

What a great way to be pro-active!
When my husband was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I had so much to learn and I felt so guilty that I hadn't been involved before diabetes affected my family.
It took some time for me to calm down enough to realize that God brings things into our focus as the need arises. Just as your husband is testifying to. I agree with him.
When we get done being stunned by what is happening to us enough to reach out and do something for someone else, then a bit of heaven happens on earth, and our burden is not as harsh.
It is the way God is glorified and revealed to a hurting world.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM

I have a friend who at 36 was just diagnosed with type 1. We have also had several girls on our competition cheer squad that were type 1. Thank you and your DH for the work you are doing to help others. May God bless this event.

Piedmont Quilter
Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by omak
What a great way to be pro-active!
When my husband was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I had so much to learn and I felt so guilty that I hadn't been involved before diabetes affected my family.
It took some time for me to calm down enough to realize that God brings things into our focus as the need arises. Just as your husband is testifying to. I agree with him.
When we get done being stunned by what is happening to us enough to reach out and do something for someone else, then a bit of heaven happens on earth, and our burden is not as harsh.
It is the way God is glorified and revealed to a hurting world.
Amen :!:
Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM

WTG! Would that more of us get off our reputations and do more! Give him a big hug from me! :lol:
Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM

That's a wonderful thing your husband (and you) are doing. My niece was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 10. She's been to the camps a few times and has learned alot from them. Great job!!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

What a great thing you and your husband are doing. Thanks from all of us.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I just came back in from gardening ... whew that is hot business!

Thanks girls for all your posts of encouragement and gratitude. I am going to show hubby this when he gets home tonight from work. I am sure he will appreciate all your sweet words. He has worked hard at this and has a way to go.