Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A machine for my wife >

A machine for my wife

A machine for my wife

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM

Question A machine for my wife

So I am one who tends to get my wife something that is thoughtful and quality for christmas. I have done some research which lead me to this sight. The last couple of years off and on my wife has hinted at getting a sewing machine. And this christmas I have the ability to do that. From what I have found its a good investment to go with a vintage Singer Featherweight. I figured the best way to test this is to ask a forum, which is much wiser in the ways of the sewing if what I found is a good idea or not. Also any feed back of what would be a good price to pay for a machine like this would be great. I thank you all in advance for your advice.

Best,
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM

I think that you will get your $$$ back at anytime for a featherweight. In my opinion, $250 is a good deal -- which is the going price at the auctions I go to . Good luck!

Other machines I am fond of are the Brother Innovus 40 Runway Edition (about $400) with many stitches, and the Brother PQ1500 ($600 online) with just a straight stitch, but great for piecing.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM

I adore my Featherweight. If your wife will only be doing straight stitching, this is a perfect machine. If she wants other stitches, including back stitching, or wants to quilt large quilts, you may want a different option. $250 is a good price for a Featherweight. BTW, If you get one for her, do NOT clean it with anything like Goof Off as there is a lacquer finish that will be removed with a strong cleaner like that.

Last edited by fayzer; 12-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM

The "perfect gift" spend the time with her shopping so she can have a voice in a machine that will probably stay with her for the rest of her life. Featherweights are wonderful (I have one) BUT they may not be what your wife would LOVE to have. You don't mention what area you are in, and that's another factor in on the pricing of machines.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM

I am in the US in Indiana. She is a novice seamstress and this would be her first sewing machine. So neither of us have any experience in what we are looking for. So please pour on the information!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM

I don't have a Featherweight, but those who do love them. I understand that you can buy them from the year your wife was born = maybe. My friend was born in 1951, and she got one made that year. Apparently it was an anniversary year so it was special. Make sure that you have someone who can work on whatever machine you buy. A machine that doesn't work is a bug and dust collector.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM

My recommendation is that you go to the local shop that sells machines AND offers classes. Look around and get a feel, then take your wife on and let her make the decision. A local dealer that offers classes is your best bet. Think about it this way, would you want your wife to pick out your next car or whatever your hobby is, without your input?
That said BabyLock, and Brother are both great brands. I don't know where you are in Indiana, but if you are near Richmond, the Stitching Nook is a very mice shop that sells machines. You are a very thoughtful husband
Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM

It seems like a good idea might be to be like MERRY CHRISTMAS I'm taking you to the sewing shop and lets figure out what you like best. And speak with the people at our local shop to see what insights they have on a good machine for her.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM

I think it would be best for her to have some input on the machine. Maybe you could give her a card with a homemade "coupon" for a sewing machine of her choice at such and such store.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Do you have a brother??? LOL