Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Default free motion quilting

I used the wrong title on my last post. I was advised by a sales person I could buy embroidery hoops bigger ones and section off my quilt that way to FMQ. I have never done FMQ before and scared to ruin the quilt. I have practiced a little but no actual design. Do you just start sewing or how do you put a design on the quilt? I have made quilts that I could just stitch in the ditch around the squares by my next pinwheel I want to FMQ. My last pinwhile I tied with yarn.
Thanks,
Evelyn
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned

It is difficult to give detailed instructions in this small space. Have you searched the web for tutorials for instruction. If you have not done FMQ before as you indicate I suggest you do some research for the basics and then spend a lot of practice before attempting a large quilt. And no, large embroidery hoops are not usully used in FMQ. Sometime they are used by quilters but again it takes knowing the basics and having some skill in the technique.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM

There is no secret... practice, practice, practice. When I did my first FMQ, my quilt was 110 X 95. I put it aside and made a small one. I practice on it and then attack my big one. I have the Pfaff quilter's box and in it there is a ring that is rubbery under so it grips the fabric. There is also the Machingers quilting gloves that are nice to work with. Also, do a test with the same fabric and same batting to make sure that the thread tension is good. Then practice on that piece and go for it. It's only by doing it that you are going to get better. For the design, I often draw it on paper (golden threads or paper use on a bed in a doctor office) and then quilt on it and tear it after. Maybe not a good idea for a newbie?!? You could draw your design on the quilt making sure the lines will disappear. Like Holice said, search the web for tutorials. I recently discover Leah Day and found her very helpful. Remember, you have to relax, keep your shoulders down and inhale!! I could do it so can you!! Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails free_motion_guide_grip.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Check out Leah Day. She has free tutorials on FMQ. I would not use an embroidery hoop. I remember your other post. You have a Brother PE770, which is like my SE440. Using the embroidery hoop would take away the "free" part of FMQ. It would be very confining using a hoop.

Like Cathouse said, practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

It's really helpful to get a good book on FMQ. Here's the current edition of the one I used to teach myself:
http://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Machi...dp/1571202366/
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure how you would maintain even tension on all the layers when you unhoop and rehoop. I would think you would still need to pin the sandwich. I have seen this done on old episodes of Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilting show, but she always used a QAYG method and worked on small squares, not a whole top.
I really like using gloves to hold and manoever the sandwich. You can get 'real' quilting gloves, or use gardening gloves. They both have a rubberized coating on them which gives you grip on the sandwich without having to grab it with your hands.