Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301 - short vs. long bed >

Singer 301 - short vs. long bed

Singer 301 - short vs. long bed

Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Default Singer 301 - short vs. long bed

I'm a tad confused on what "short bed" or "long bed" means on the 301. Does it mean just the extension table, as I notice some are longer than others, or the length of the harp? Which brings me to another question -- what is the length of the harp on the 301? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM

The throat space is exactly the same. The flap on the side of the bed is longer on the long bed. I have both the short bed and long beds and they make no difference in my world:>
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Do the 301's ever come in a cabinet?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Do the 301's ever come in a cabinet?
Yes, the short beds do.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Thank you! I have one waiting for me at my Mom's house in St. Louis. It belonged to her boyfriend (she is 90) and he brought it to her so that she could "mend his clothes" for him. He has since passed away. My DH and I are going to Paducah tomorrow for the Quilt Show and will go the "long way home" and go through St Louis on Sat. and take Grandma Bebe out for dinner and bring the sewing machine (in a cabinet). She looked in a drawer and it had a 301 book with it. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Yes, the short beds do.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Thank you! I have one waiting for me at my Mom's house in St. Louis. It belonged to her boyfriend (she is 90) and he brought it to her so that she could "mend his clothes" for him. He has since passed away. My DH and I are going to Paducah tomorrow for the Quilt Show and will go the "long way home" and go through St Louis on Sat. and take Grandma Bebe out for dinner and bring the sewing machine (in a cabinet). She looked in a drawer and it had a 301 book with it. Can't wait!
How exciting! Please post pics of the machine and cabinet when you get a chance. I love to see all of the lovely possibilities out there!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I'm a tad confused on what "short bed" or "long bed" means on the 301. Does it mean just the extension table, as I notice some are longer than others, or the length of the harp? Which brings me to another question -- what is the length of the harp on the 301? Thanks.
It means the extension table. If you are going to use this machine without a cabinet, long bed is the way to go, IMHO. It gives you more stability for feeding fabrics and quilting. Unlike machines intended only for cabinets, this machine is finished for portable use; in other words, no protruding stubby legs at the bottom. Short beds are more useful in a cabinet where the cabinet provides the stability. Long beds do not fit in the normal cabinets. I have both, long bed portable and short bed in cabinet. I use both. The short bed in a cabinet is my main piecing machine. (A foot designed for quarter inch with a fence on the right is helpful.) I also use the long bed in a custom-made sewing table where I switch machines in and out, and have a wooden surround so that the machine bed is even with the table.

You need a special cradle made for the 301 to use the short bed in any cabinet (unless custom made). The cradle makes it very easy to get it in and out.

The harp is maybe 7 inches. I do not have it in front of me. I've never had trouble quilting any quilt with it.

Remember that you have to oil the 301 with one drop of sewing machine oil or tri-flow (NOT 3-in-1 or WD40 or anything else) one drop each place metal meets metal for every 8 hours of sewing. See your manual.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Hi,
Here's what a long bed 301 looks like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintag-SINGE...item4d0bdb7a78
this is a short bed 301.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nice-Vi...item1e79d2297c