Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help arranging OBW >

Help arranging OBW

Help arranging OBW

Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 AM

Default Help arranging OBW

This is my first OBW and while creating the blocks was so fun, arranging them is making me crazy! Looking for any suggestions as this board is sooo creative. In order of photos they are fabric, top, middle, bottom. I'm thinking all the "pineapple" blocks should be together on the bottom. I'm having trouble transitioning from turquoise to green.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails obw_fabric.jpg   obw_top.jpg   obw_middle.jpg   obw_bottom.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

the last two pics look good. in the second picture, i would take the 5 clustered ones with the white 'stripes' that look a bit 'heavy' and exchange them with the edge ones that look a bit softer. JMHO
Old 08-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I agree with QuiltnNan. Those blocks take away from the looks. It will be beautiful. I have read where some leave it layed out and go back several times to look and rearrange.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 AM

Love your choice of fabric. First I must say that I admire you for making a OBW. It's on my bucket list & I have several pieces of fabric that will make beautiful ones or at least I think they will.

Now, for my opinion....and it's only an opinion. When I look at OBW's that I really like, I see blocks grouped together with like colors. This produces the swirly element that makes the OBW look interesting to me. For me, yours is too fragmented & there's no place to rest your eyes. Would you consider trying a colorwash type look with the calming greens in the center? Would the heavier browner blocks look better on one of the corners?

I am attaching a couple of pictures of quilts that I saw on the internet & liked. Notice the calming areas. I DID NOT make them but really liked how the colors flowed to a serene final look. I am, also, a big fan, of adding small "stopper" borders & then adding a larger border of your original fabric to show off what you accomplished with all that cutting & sewing. Often a quilt changes it's whole look when you transition through all the fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails obw-orig-fab-border.jpg   yellow-obw.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the other two posters. I would not use the ones with the white stripes. I always have some hexagons that don't seem fit in anywhere. See if you can locate a copy of Sara Nephews' book "Doubledipity: more Serendipity quilts" she has dozens of patterns you can make from your left over hexes.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I bought that same fabric, also thinking OBW, but I haven't cut into it yet, so I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished OBW. I think those striped blocks look like they have a cyclone going on, so I would banish them to the edges or even to the back of the quilt. You aren't the first person to be driven crazy by a OBW, nor will you be the last, so don't worry that it's not coming together at first. It will eventually fall in place. Take a rest from it whenever it just isn't working out, and come back with fresh eyes. Also the blocks will visually merge together more when they're sewn and quilted.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM

The HARDEST part of making an OBW is arranging the blocks. You don't have to use all of them if the blocks don't work. Try to create a flow of color that pleases you. Keep playing with the blocks until you are happy with the design. Do a search on the QB for OBW or One Block Wonder so you can see how others have solved their design delimmas.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the pictures Barb posted. I may find a jade solid and make this a S&W to tone it down.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM

Those came out great. I was looking at that fabric for a OBW but haven't picked it up yet. I think I'll have to add it to my list. It can be so hard to pick a layout - it took me several days to settle on the layout for the twin size one I'm working on. What I eventually decided on was to sort by warm/cool colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432996[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2008-01-01-12.00.56.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
Those came out great. I was looking at that fabric for a OBW but haven't picked it up yet. I think I'll have to add it to my list. It can be so hard to pick a layout - it took me several days to settle on the layout for the twin size one I'm working on. What I eventually decided on was to sort by warm/cool colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432996[/ATTACH]
Kaelynangelfoot - Your layout is really good. I love the way it worked out. Would you post a pic of your original fabric?

Sorry everyone... I couldn't figure out edit the photo out of there after I posted it. Oh well...it is a good looking photo. lol