Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Pieced Block >

Paper Pieced Block

Paper Pieced Block

Old 11-17-2013, 04:31 AM

Default Paper Pieced Block

Two questions: Can you sew a paper pieced block to a non paper pieced block with bias pieces along the edges? And When do you remove the paper at the beginning or at the end of completing the quilt. TIA
Old 11-17-2013, 04:58 AM

I would remove the paper from the pp block before I sew it to the non pp block. I've sewn non pp blocks to pp blocks but I remove the paper at least from the seam allowance. I use the red binding clips to hold my blocks together so I don't get any distortion from trying to pin.
I hate removing paper from a quilt--did that once, never again! I've just finished pp 2 large quilts and removed all the papers as I completed the blocks. Try different methods and you'll find what works for you. Good luck!

Last edited by janRN; 11-17-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

And now for the opposing point of view I would leave the paper on to keep the bias edges from stretching. I remove the paper as soon as the block is sewn into the quilt and stabilized. I will often join 2 blocks and then remove the 1/4" of paper from the seam allowance on the edge so it's easier to join to the next group of blocks.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

if you are afraid the PP edges will stretch too much you can leave the paper in until the next blocks are sewn to it. Generally I remove the PP paper before sewing the seams because it is a little difficult to remove paper after you stitch over it. Have a pair of tweezers handy and sew the blocks together with a smaller stitch length.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM

I stay stitch around the border of the PP block before I remove the paper. No stretching when I attach to a non-PP block.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

starch will also help stabilize the bias edges before joining them- I generally remove the papers as soon as I have joined the blocks- long before completing the whole quilt top; but I leave the papers on until they are attached to the next blocks-just for the stability. if it makes sense at the time to remove the paper first I stitch a small 'stay-stitch' all the way around the block inside the seam allowance- then I starch & press well. lots of paper pieced blocks are used along with parts that are not paper pieced-