Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where Were You November 22, 1963? >

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Default Where Were You November 22, 1963?

The 50th anniversary is Friday. I was a 6th grader and we were in history class, what a coincidence! All of a sudden the principal came on over the intercom and played a radio station that was staticky and hard to hear. The nun teaching the class started writing on the board what had happened. We were all shocked!! When we went home, all the TV stations were tuned to it. I remember we were off of school the following Monday to watch the funeral. I don't know if other schools were off, but we attended a Catholic school and Kennedy was very special because he was the first Catholic president. I'll never forget the funeral procession, the riderless horse, Pennsylvania Avenue. I've been to D.C. several times since then but had no idea what those different places were.

It changed America. I feel badly for younger people who weren't able to experience the changes most of us did, Kennedy, both John and Robert, Martin Luther King.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Wow! Where did you go to school. The very same thing happened at our school (Catholic) and I was in the 8th grade during history class. We didn't have a PA system. The elderly housekeeper nun informed us of the tragedy. The 8th graders went over to the nun's convent and we watched everything on the tv til the buses were on their way to take us home at the end of the day. We were off the following Monday also. Masses on Sunday that weekend were all requiem high masses. My mother worked at the rural post office and the flag was flown at half mast. There were a few veterans still living in our small town and every morning and evening they helped to raise and lower the flag. They did that every anniversary like clock work till they no longer were able, then a few scouts would before school.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM

I was in third grade when someone knocked at the door and told my teacher about President Kennedy. My teacher said "Oh my God, NO! and leaned against the door. You could hear a pin drop in the classroom. Then, over the intercom, came a message that school was closing and to be ready to leave in 20 minutes. I was scared to death. I remember watching the news on TV and the funeral procession. (We were learning about fractions in math when it happened.)
Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM

I was a Junior in high school. A few of us had gone to Henry's for lunch---for their 10 for $1.00 hamburgers! When we returned the entire school was totally hushed....people (students & teachers) walking around 'dazed'. It was surreal...no one was speaking. We finally asked someone what had happened....and then did not believe the answer!!! Then we were among the dazed.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM

I was 5 years away from being born. My Dad was in Cuba with the Marines. They were originally told both the President and Vice President were killed and spent 24 hours on high alert assuming it all had something to do with the missal crisis.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM

I was in 8th grade English class. Another teacher came in and told my teacher the news. She was very young, and fell to pieces. I was 12 yrs old. Then the intercom came on the principal told us to all go home. I, too was glued to the tv. I watched the funeral...and the riderless horse. It was the saddest thing. I didn't go to a catholic school. Hard to believe it can be 50 years. It was only a page in history when my girls went went to school. I would tell them all about every detail I could remember. Not too long ago...my 40 year old DD tried to argue the date with me. "I was there." was all I could say. BTW...after being in a house fire last Dec...losing everything..pets...clothes..everything.I am finally getting better. But then on Nov. 13th (4 days ago) my beloved Mother passed away quite suddenly. She was 89 last April. I know now...I will never the same.

Last edited by oldpiglady; 11-17-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM

I was in Grade 3. Even though we are Canadian, the USA is our 'best friend'. The principal made an announcement over the PA system. Even though I didn't understand the full impact, it was so sad to me that someone would take another person's life.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 AM

I was in 1st grade. My Dad came to school and took us home. I remember my Mom crying so much I thought a relative died. We were watch everything on tv for days.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM

I was at work. That day was a paradigm shift myself and the whole country.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM

I was 1 yr old, so I guess I was crawling/walking about that time. I don't ever remember my parents talking about it as I got older.

From seeing pictures of him and his wife they made quite the striking couple.