Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Guess what fell into my trunk and followed me home??? >

Guess what fell into my trunk and followed me home???

Guess what fell into my trunk and followed me home???

Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Guess what fell into my trunk and followed me home???

A Singer 1425. I don't know a thing about her yet. Came with pedal, 2 boxes of attachments, ton of bobbins that are still in there original packaging and the owners manual.

I found a machine on CL and have been going back and forth with this lovely girl about her various available machines. She plugged them all in an stitched a little on them and called them good. Most of them were 80's, 90s and current models. No vintage black singers, but that's ok.

I paid 20 bucks, but I think it's worth it. The only machine I have that has any decorative stitches at all stopped working this weekend. I think this will make a nice replacement.

Again, I know nothing about her yet. I'll come back on and post her serial number.

Anybody know anything about the 1425's?

Melissa
Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 AM

It looks like a later model of my 1036. This model was built from 1982 - 1985 and has plastic gears. It has a wind in place bobbin (Touch & Sew type). If you push down on the bed in back of the needle plate, it turns into a free arm. Push down on the stitch length dial to sew in reverse.

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm
This link is for a 1036 but it will help you with threading, and winding & changing the bobbin. Singer has manuals available to download for $10.

(I found one on ebay and the pictures aren't clear enough for me to be 100% certain. What I say after this is based on what looks like the same parts as my 1036. If any of the following does not make sense, disregard it.) If the stitch selector panel shows the different stitches in different colors-red, white and yellow, adjust the stitch length dial to the same color as the stitch chosen. The white stitches have a bit more leeway for stitch length.

The stitch selector dial is very different from the 1036. On the 1036 you need to push down on a lever before you can turn the dial.

The 1036 needs a buttonhole foot to make buttonholes and has only one buttonhole setting on the stitch selector panel. I see that the 1425 has a lever with a buttonhole picture next to the presser bar just like the 1036. On the 1036 you need to pull it down and forward to make buttonholes. The buttonhole foot hits the lever when it's reached the end of the buttonhole length on the left side of the buttonhole. It takes a few zigzag stitches in place and then makes the right side of the buttonhole.

Hope this is a help to you.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks! Fortunately, the machine game with an owner's manual in 3 languages even! A friend of mine owns a 1036 and has been very happy with her. I only picked her up to have a machine capable of zig zag and some decorative stitching. Her bobbins sure are odd, but she came with 10 or 12 and most of them are still in their original packaging. There's a foot with it that doesn't look like it's in the owners manual, it looks like an edging foot like my friend has for her bernina. It's got a funky flange thing right in the middle next to where the needle comes down.

Still reading the very large manual.