Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crawling on all fours vs quilt as you go >

Crawling on all fours vs quilt as you go

Crawling on all fours vs quilt as you go

Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM

Default Crawling on all fours vs quilt as you go

While being off last week, I crawled around on the floor to sandwich a UFO that had been waiting patiently to be completed since last Spring. After, the UFO was completed in three days, I was eager to put my hands on some gorgeous French General fabrics, I worked on the blocks and added decorative stitches. Started piecing together 5 blocks for each row...there will be 5 rows with a border added to the quilt. No sashing . And then it dawned on me- is it possible to now use the "quilt as you go" method to join the rows together?
I have watched several You Tube videos but for some reason I can not get me brain to understand this method. Can someone provide some guidance if what I'd like to do is reasonable and if there is a video or tutorial that demonstrates the method close up? The thought of crawling on the floor again does not excite me right now ( that's why I still have another UFO waiting once again patiently for me).
thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 AM

I'll be anxious to see what everyone has to say. I've only done it for each individual block. If there is sashing in between each block, you could do your method for the rows and then in between the blocks do a simple tacking here and there. I would be afraid that it would need further reinforcement between the blocks. There are several youtube methods. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM

There is a book called Mile a Minute quilts and the quilts are put together in rows or larger sections. I did a large queen quilt in sections. I sewed the sections together so there was no seam on the back and then added a long strip to cover the seam on the front. I had used the same fabric in a narrow border in other parts of the quilt so it looks like it was part of the design.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:03 AM

I've seen a couple of quilts done the QAYG method. One was done in quarters (the top in four sections) and another was done in halves. The quilter told me that she just treated each section as one quilt and then joined the tops together doing the top seam first and then overlapping the backing and handstitching it. Haven't done it myself, but look forward to trying it.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I just made one, putting the binding on now. I will post a picture when it is finished. It was a pain the way I did it. I sewed the sections together on the front and have the seams on the back. I probably won't do another this way.
My quilt of the week on the main page shows a quilt I did before QAYG and it was more hand sewing but went much faster and turned out better.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 AM

I did 2 queen size quilts for Christmas and did them as QAYG. I do not FMQ, I won't send things out, and to me an item is not done by me if I don't do it completely by myself. One was a stained glass which had sashing and the other one was just blocks done in rows. Both were quilted then sewed together in rows.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM

I have only made one QAYG and found it makes a stiff quilt. The method had you cut the backing fabric larger than the block and batting then bring it to the front of the block as sashing.
It made a very nice patterned quilt.
Attached Thumbnails fun-done_01.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Copehome posted a nice link with pictures of quilting in rows. I think the post title was "has anyone tried this method of quilting on a domestic machine? I think the site was http://www.candiedfabrics.com
check out the original post for the link as this one doesn't want to go direct.

Last edited by Tartan; 01-07-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I have only made one QAYG and found it makes a stiff quilt. The method had you cut the backing fabric larger than the block and batting then bring it to the front of the block as sashing.
It made a very nice patterned quilt.
Was it a Fun and Done? I've done of those and I guess the pattern I used (diagonal strips) didn't lead to stiffness.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Here's a link to Tartan's info.

http://www.candiedfabrics.com/2013/0...ing-as-you-go/