Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip-Piecing Wizard software from Quilt Pro.  Is it worth the money? >

Strip-Piecing Wizard software from Quilt Pro. Is it worth the money?

Strip-Piecing Wizard software from Quilt Pro. Is it worth the money?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Got an email from Quilt-Pro about it. If you purchase Vol 1 by Aug 10th, you get Vol 2 thrown it. That is 1,000 blocks total. Went to the website and if I order the CDs (I'm a chicken about downloads), it will come to about $42.50. (They charge double for shipping 2 CDs??? Even I know that the shipping cost for 1 CD is the same!)

Here is the website with a description, sample blocks, sample printout, etc.:
http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=St..._Vol1_mainpage

I can see how this software could be useful, but I was not overly impressed with the 50 blocks on display. A lot of them I would never make. I'd love a nice bear paw, though, and maybe a few on-point blocks.

Other companies offer similar software. Just wondering if anyone has this type of software and what they think about it. I know I don't want elaborate quilt design software like Quilt Pro 5 or 6 right now, as I absolutely do not have time available for learning software or fooling around with design options. I need simple, fast, and easy-to-use but not DULL!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

If you looked at 50 or so and wouldn't make many of them, then it seems as if it wouldn't be such a good buy for you. Couldn't you spend less and just get the individual (i.e. bear paw) ones you want?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Don't be timid about the downloads, I download lots of Quilt Pro buys and never had a problem. You can download several times if it messes up but so far I haven't had any problems at all. It's much cheaper to have patterns send online. I always check to see if quilt book I want can be download before buying. I can print out only the parts I need and not have to store the book.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady
If you looked at 50 or so and wouldn't make many of them, then it seems as if it wouldn't be such a good buy for you. Couldn't you spend less and just get the individual (i.e. bear paw) ones you want?
The software comes with all the blocks built-in. I can always get individual patterns, but I am considering the software because it calculates how many strips to cut and how much yardage is required for the size block and number of blocks I want. I dread that kind of math, probably because I've made too many mistakes with it.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:43 AM

I have Quilt Wizard and it is nice but it dosnt show the simplest ways to make blocks. Especially flying geese and half square triangles.
I use El Burns methods for these and they always come out perfect.
But it is fun to use to design a quilt and size blocks. It costs 29 dollars but dosnt have as many blocks as the other software. It is worthe the 29 dollars for what it does do.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

it seems so limited to me. i'd spend some more money and buy EQ instead.