Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basting a quilt sandwich. >

Spray basting a quilt sandwich.

Spray basting a quilt sandwich.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Spray basting a quilt sandwich.

I have taken everyone's advice and have been watching videos on UTube. Today I watched one on spray basting a quilt. After watching it a have a couple of questions......of course.
1. what brands of basting spray do you recommend?
Also, I noticed that when they spray basted the quilt the batting and backing weren't larger than the quilt top. I have always been taught to make them several inches larger than the quilt top.
2. Do you or do you not make the batting and backing larger when you spray baste?
3. Do you recommend spray basting over thread basting?

Thanks so much for your patience!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I spray baste all my quilts and have not had a problem. I buy the spray basting for quilts found at Joanne's.
i generally have my backing and batting about 2 inches larger than the quilt top. I machine quilt and have never had a problem with shrinkage due to the quilting process. After I have quilted the top I then trim the batting and the back . Then place binding on it.
I like the spray because of no slippage and it's easier to machine quilt the sandwich.
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I always cut my backing and batting larger than the top. As for brands, I prefer 505 because it is very low odor and very effective (you need little spray) and I also use Sullivan's, although it has a stronger odor.

For my quilts, I put an old sheet on the bed and do my basting there. When done, I press both sides to really set the spray.

Check out Patsy Thompson's youtube on her method of spray basting. She gives a lot of detail.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I have used several types of basting spray and prefer 505 -- less odor than others, and sticks better. There is a newer basting "web" on the market that is supposed to be very good too.

The most important thing when spray basting (for me, anyway) is to remember to spray only half at a time. I once sprayed the entire backing and then tried to position the batting on top, and that is just asking for disaster! Position two layers, then peel back the top layer so you are spraying only half at a time.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM

Madquilter...do you press the sandwich together with an iron to set the spray? If so, I presume you would use a low setting so as to not melt the poly batting. Is that so?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Not all basting sprays work well with polyester batting. Some quilters report having trouble using basting spray with poly batting; however, 505 does seem to work with polyester batting.

Ironing is not necessary when using basting spray, and probably not a good idea if the batting is polyester. Some quilters press the quilt sandwich after basting to compress it as much as possible, and it would be okay to do this with basting spray but certainly not necessary. Ironing is more common when basting with Elmer's glue, since it speeds up the drying of the glue.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM

I use the cheaper Sullivan's spray and love it! There is a Goodwill-find sheet hanging on a back room wall that I pin the quilt to and it works wonderfully. The sheet has a grid pattern that is super for lining up things to spray. I had a mixed poly/cotton backing for one quilt and might as well have not even bother to spray it when using 505 - didn't stick at all.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I love 505 and like Sulky spray. They both work well.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM

I use 505 and really like it.I get it from Sew-for-less in the large cans. It is not really cheap but cans seem to go a long way and is worth the money. Easier that pinning and also the quilt sandwich is not as heavy. Spray basting seems to hold better and the parts do not move since they are glued together. I use hobbs 80/20 batting and the spray works well on it. Acutally last time I sprayed the batting instead of the top since that was easier and and no problem with sandwich holding together.

Alos tere is no need to iron sandwich when spray basting.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
DJ

I love spray basting. I use 505 and I do iron it (using Warm & White/Natural) to be sure it's all smooth. If the quilt is quite large, I will pin the edges just for insurance. I also cut batting and backing larger than the quilt top.