Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sampler - QAYG Quilt >

Sampler - QAYG Quilt

Sampler - QAYG Quilt

Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 AM

Default Sampler - QAYG Quilt

I have a sampler quilt that I am going to QAYG - how does everyone quilt a sampler? Quilt each block according to that particular block style or the same for each? I'm not good at FM, just learning. Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 AM

Since it is a 'Sampler', quilting each block in the best style for that particular block would be very nice.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 AM

You quilt each block and when they are all done and dusted you make strips that you machine sew on one side and hand sew on the other side of another block back and front. Lots of examples of QAYG on Youtube as it is hard to describe in words.
And speaking of which- a sampler quilt would be a great place to start on Leah Day's quilting site. She will give you a pattern a day (or week) to do machine quilting that you can apply to each of your blocks. Have fun!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Thanks for your suggestions - think I'll do each one different!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 AM

The first quilt class I ever took, we did a sampler QAYG. What we did was choose a quilting template and incorporate that design in different ways in each block. Mine was a design that looked like 4 spades (like on a card), and in one block I'd put a spade in each corner, in another I used one spade in the center, etc. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well, but it worked. That way, each block is not exactly the same, but it is coordinated.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by denise0570 View Post
I have a sampler quilt that I am going to QAYG - how does everyone quilt a sampler? Quilt each block according to that particular block style or the same for each? I'm not good at FM, just learning. Thanks
Without a picture, it is sort of hard to tell. Yes, it is best to quilt each blocks as an individual quilt. Won't be too difficult because you will probably do a lot of stitch in the ditch. If you can, please post a picture and we can give you a little more detail explanation on what each of use would do.