Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing HELP >

Organizing HELP

Organizing HELP

Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Default Organizing HELP

Frustration set in a few weeks ago. Digging through my stash for some pieces for applique. Then the other day after signing up for a class at my LQS and finding out I need about 120 2.5"squares/charms, I figured I would 'work' from my scrap/stash. This is where I started pulling my hair. Dig, dig, measure, dig, you get the picture

I have STUFFED my scraps for 11 years, and it is bursting at the seams ... I 'tried' to put in some sort of system, but have limited space. 2 drawers and one tub, the tub holds larger pieces (smaller than a FQ, but larger then a scrap) the drawers did start out with string/strips in one and the other was scraps, but that system has been lost over the years.

I have studied Bonnie Hunters system and have even made some of her free scrap quilts In hopes of it shrinking my scraps, hahaha. I wish I had her space but I don't.

So the last couple of days I have been going through the drawers. Cutting, pressing, stacking in 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 strip piles. Taking a break, right now. And to see if you have any suggestions.

MY QUESTIONS ~
What to do with the odd sizes? 4x5.5, 3x4.5, 6x7 etc.
Some are big enough to make nickles, should I make 5" square?
Should I trim the odd sizes to the next size square?
OR just leave it, for applique (for the future), in a nice pressed pile?

I know one thing that I AM going to start doing..... my next few quilts are going to be SCRAPS!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:18 PM

I would leave larger pieces as a single piece. (Your choice on what constitutes a largerpiece). Get other ideas at www.quiltville.com.

I leave pieces as they are and store scraps in a ziploc large bag, with some separation in smaller zip-loc bags. The smaller bags get 2x2, 2.5x2.5, 3.5 x 3.5" squares. I also have a plastic bag for bonus half square triangles. 1.5" squares are in a separate bag to give away, since I don't want to deal with them. I suppose I define scraps as anything smaller than a fat quarter. Larger than that are folded and stored with yardage. Strips that are already cut are left lying around, but should probably be stored in a single place. I don't have any more than would fit into a shoe box.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 PM

I also just spent a lot of time sorting my scraps with Bonnie Hunter's system, but I cut everything into strips. This gives me the option to subcut into whatever sizes needed. I have plastic drawers beginning with 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 and 6" strips. I've made several quilts with my scraps since organizing them this way and it certainly does make life easier!!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:03 PM

I don't have a lot of space either, but I find cutting my scraps ala Bonnie actually saves on space. I do 2, 2.5 and 3.5 strips. Any strip larger than 2 square stays in strip form. I store them in those flat 12x12 scrapbooking boxes. I do have shoebox size containers of 2, 2.5 and 3.5 square but prefer to keep strips. I always cut down to the largest size that I store. I used to do 1.5 strips but I'm finding I really don't use that size. Anything larger than a FQ stays as yardage. The trick is to cut the scraps after you finish each project or they get out of control. I confess that I don't always do that and just spent a week chopping and taming. Good luck, just take it slowly and do a little at a time.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Great suggestions. Even though I did start the thread this is helping me too.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 PM

I made a quilt using 5 inch colored squares, 3 inch white squares and 2 inch colored squares. I had most of the top pieced when I discovered I needed another 24 sets of 2 inch colored squares. Because I had strips that width it was so easy to cut what I needed without digging through drawers finding fabric!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I also use bonnies method... I have strips ( 1/1.5/2/2.5/3) and i have sqs 2x2/2.5/3/3.5/4/4.5/5 and I also have a go so i have Bricks, small and large tumblers, hexis, pretty much any of the geometric Go shapes they made, I will cut my scraps (9inches or smaller) into what appropriate size that scrap best fits.. Once the tub gets full i sew away..

I keep each size in its own sterilite container.. I can then pull what im looking for when needed...
Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM

I cut my scraps into 2 1/2", 5" and 10" squares. I cut strips (sometimes short) into 1 1/2", 2 1/2" and 5" strips. They go into ziplock bags. Larger scraps are separated and some discarded if too small.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM

Thank you all for your input.

DUH ... I did't think about putting my re-organized strips and squares in bags. That is a good thumbs up and it will be easier to sort/find when hunting in the future.

Well one drawer is completely empty, but all over my cutting table (but trimmed and sorted). Today onto next drawer. Then to put it all back, so I can SEW!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 AM

I like the idea of strips and then subcut when needed.