Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
American Flag Project for school >

American Flag Project for school

American Flag Project for school

Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Default American Flag Project for school

My 7-year-old daughter, Bridget, has a school project due Feb 17th is has to be something that shows American patriotism. Bridget has chosen the American flag with 13 stars which represent the original colonies. This flag we will be making with fabric and I will be letting her sew the stripes and large blue section together, as I thought I would do the star circle last. After the project/presentation I would like to take her flag and turn it into a wall hanging so she can keep it. Any suggestions from my quilting/sewing friends will be greatly appreciated. I am a beginner so we need something easy but I want to make it a memory she will treasure forever when it's finished. Thanks for any suggestions, advise, and/or comments!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 PM

You could let her use fabric paint to stamp the stars on, or attach star shaped buttons. That should keep it within her abilities. The straight seam piecing of the stripes would also be within the abilities of a beginner. Remember its ok for her finished project to look like a 7 year old did it. Sounds like a fun project.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Thanks Rainyday Quilter. Those are great suggestions! I thought that she could do straight seams and learn to love sewing at the same time. I never thought about star shaped buttons, but that would be perfect. I knew this would be a great place for ideas and feedback. Thank you so much!!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great project for you and her to do together that would actually be fun to do. I use to dread when my kids came home with school projects to make! And science projects were the worst. LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Sounds like a great project! I was thinking lightweight fusible for the stars, but buttons will be nicer and teach a very useful sewing skill. I swear buttons are sewn with only a single strand of spiderweb these days.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Monroe, I was thinking of doing the stars with fusible; but I agree that stars would be more fun and like you said a lifelong skill she will need. LOL I agree that most clothing loses a button by the 3rd wash!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by EvelynJ View Post
. LOL I agree that most clothing loses a button by the 3rd wash!
As soon as you get home with a new shirt that has buttons (or you finish making it), take Fray-Check and put a drop on top of the thread on the front of the button. Let dry. That has allways worked for me, no more lost buttons.