Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color for frames on small blocks? >

What color for frames on small blocks?

What color for frames on small blocks?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Default What color for frames on small blocks?

I'm using two different sized quilt blocks to make a quilt. Both are blocks from QAL which resulted in too small a quilt on their own. What I'd like to do is put a 2" finished border around the small blocks to bring them up to size of the large blocks. The blocks use all different colors of batiks with a soft yellow solid. I don't have any of either yellow left. I was thinking just white, but I'm not liking that too much. What color would you use for the frames on the small blocks? (Red, Black, White, other color?)
Attached Thumbnails sampler.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Boy, I love the layout but if that is white, it is just not doing anything to make the blocks pop. Have you tried black???
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM

This would be more work, but I might try to frame each smaller block with one of the colors already in that block. That would make the frame look like an original part of the block. I think that would be best IMO. Otherwise, you could sash them all in the same color, possibly blue, using wider sashing on the smaller blocks. Setting them on point will also help.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

i wouldn't use white, myself, because i feel that it doesn't go with the creamy look of the other blocks. i think i'd try to find a similar color in the block for that block... thus different color frames for the different blocks. i'd put wide frames on the smaller block and thinner frames on the larger blocks. the blocks are all nicely done
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM

I like the idea of using a color within each of the smaller blocks to frame them. Keeps the whole thing looking sampler like and doesn't introduce anything odd.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I have to agree with Maniac, the white just seems to wash out your beautiful blocks. I think black or a dark gray would really help them to pop. Or any dark value color. Forest green, burgandy. Audition a few and see what you think.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 AM

I would do the yellow/Creamy colour that is in all the blocks. Make them look like they are floating almost.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM

I would either try to find more of your creamy yellow or pick a color from each block to frame it with either a wide or narrow border (as suggested by QuiltNan), the frames could then serve as sashing amongst the blocks.

Cheers, K
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I would use one of the other colours from the quilt maybe the green or blue on the smaller blocks.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Love the blocks ad the idea. Too bad you are out of the yellow, if it were me I would hunt through my stash to find a batik print that has most of those colors that, will give it a completely differnt look. If not that try the dark blue, black or maybe a black background with confetti like print with your colors