Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yo-Yo Quilts >

Yo-Yo Quilts

Yo-Yo Quilts

Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Smile Yo-Yo Quilts

Years ago I started working on a yo-yo quilt, but somehow lost the hundreds of yo-yos I made in a move. My questions to you are: what do you use to make your circles? I used a plastic top from Kool-aid, Tang, etc. and these made a decent sized yo-yo. Now that I have tons of scraps, I'm thinking of starting another yo-yo quilt.

Question #2: what did you make with your yo-yos? A quilt, a vest, a border around the binding of a quilt??? Did you use a specific pattern?

Thanks for answering and I'd love to see pictures of your projects!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Use a cd as a template....no worries of finding the same size template if you misplace yours....the yo yos finish at about 2 inches. My yo yo quilt sports about 1200 yoes. When I finish this one I don't think I'll ever make another yoyo.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

i use a old cd for a pattern!!! i made a quilt took me 3 yrs as i worked on it off and on
Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM

I like the Olfa circle rotary cutter my friend recommended after seeing it demonstrated at the Houston quilt show.

I didn't have the cutter when I made my first yo-yos, so I cut a piece of template plastic the size required and traced around it--okay to do if you only need to make 12 yo-yos like I did for my project, but not if you need many more than that.

The yo-yos were centers for folded hexagon flowers in a small wall hanging I made several years ago, photos for which are posted in the "My Quilts" tab of my blog.

Good luck with your yo-yo project!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Google yo-yo's. You will find a lot. I saw one that had the middle like Boston Gardens but they were yo-yo's stitched onto the whole cloth. Have fun.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM

Good idea to use the cd as a pattern.
Serita
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

I use the Clover yo-yo makers.

Love them.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 PM

I use the Olfa circle cutter and set it to the diameter I want. Then I use the clover yo-yo makers.

I would love it if someone else would do the cutting. Hey, I'll be with my daughter this summer. I can let her do it while she watched TV.

I like using some of my stash for the yo-yo's ... those awkward pieces left over.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Power Poster

I used to use what ever was handy that was the right size (lid from what ever, cd, cut template plastic) then I was 'gifted' a clover yo-yo maker and LOVED it! so, I bought a couple more in different sizes. *they even have different shapes- flowers, hearts...* I've used yo-yo's for 'row' quilts--- a row of appliqued yo-yo's a row of printed fabric- another row of yo-yo's...continued until it was queen sized- I've also used them for totes, and other decorative projects yo-yo's are fun to make and fun to use.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Oh, Smiley Memories! I remember making yo-yos with my mothers neighbor. She used a lid from either a coffee can or instant juice or tea.

I believe her yo-yos made a bedspread and then some table runners. Whatever she made had to look neat since she used her old work blouses in some fun and bright floral patterns. I would love to get my hands on some old clothes like that.