Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estate sales >

Estate sales

Estate sales

Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 AM

Default Estate sales

Does anyone else find quilting stuff at estate sales? I love going to them but only find my kind of stuff every once in a while. When I do, I have a fun time getting the bargains. But then, my mind wanders and I wonder what the person was going to make with the fabric I find or ...... why did this person's loved ones decide to get rid of the treasures they loved? It makes me feel kinda sad. The person died before she could get her projects finished..... she still had creations that needed to be made. I hope I can do justice to her precious fabric and I cherish the tools because I imagine she cherished them.

My DS says that when I die, people are going to go crazy over all the stuff I've collected. Neither my DD nor my DGD quilt... or sew much for that matter. My DSs don't even know how to thread any of my machines (I have 16 at last count). I know, I should have taught them. I guess I need to get busy and quilt more..... so I can use up all the fabric and wear out the sewing machines and tools. I think I have a plan..... gotta go get busy.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 AM

I am in about the same situation. neither of my daughters sew and they have no interest so hopefully I can use up most of it so they will not just throw stuff out when I am done. I do not find a lot of sewing stuff at sales but when I do I go thru everything and see what I cannot live without. I did go to a sale yesterday and I thought the fabric was rather pricey for a garage sale.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 AM

I am 74 years old and quilt nearly every day. Then I look at my fabric stash and wonder if I will live long enough to completely use it. I have greatly cut back on my fabric and sewing machine purchases. I have about 42 sewing machines and I find it very difficult to part with any of them but I must rethink this because I am sure they need to be used and I simply can't use them all. About 5 of them are really antique ones so they are not to be used. And, yes, we do go to estate sales and I always look for sewing things myself. I just truly enjoy visiting with the people and finding out a little about the person who left it all.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 AM

Any one of your comments would apply perfectly to me. I love this time of year because of the estate and garage sales. I always find good quality fabric that I can't live without for less than $2 a yard. I haven't managed to get any of my kids or grandkids interested in my passion but I have made sure that everyone knows to donate my stash, tools and machines to a local guild so they can find homes for it. I just hope that whatever I leave behind will be enjoyed by someone.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 AM

I don't go to estate sales. I would love to if I could get DH to take me. But..... I don't really need anything else. My two daughters aren't interested in sewing, but my two granddaughters love to sew with me. They are 4 and 7 years old and already making doll quilts on the sewing machine. They love it! I am so happy. They will probably inherit my sewing "stuff" now. My friend and I always had a pact that when either of us dies, the other takes a truck to the house and loads it all up. We laugh about it when we meet at sewing group.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I have decided where my fabric is going and that is to to my favorite group of quilters that make charity quilts and to a few of my friends. I have no children so we all must decided where we want out precious fabrics and DSM to go. There is always a need for charity quilts here (especially when you see people home destroyed) or abroad so each of us should make the decision where we want our precious fabric to find a home.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 AM

I go to estate and yard sales, and quite often find items for quilting. I really don't need any more fabric but that didn't stop me from buying more at a yard sale Friday. LOL I also don't need any more machines but if it was the right price I would probably get it, especially if it's old. My granddaughter(21) hasn't expressed any interest in learning to sew or quilt but my dh knows who to give my sewing/quilting stuff to, so I'm not really concerned that everything will either be sold or tossed in the trash.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I go to estate sales and garage sales every week if they are easy to get to on my way home from the gym. Estate sales are interesting to me because they usually consist of a house tour too. I rarely find anything related to sewing or quilting. I rarely buy anything. But it is a fun way to pass a little time.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I love estate and yard sales. I found a great deal on an entire roll of Warm and Natural batting at a yard sale! I've been quilting off that roll for several years... Also have found feedsack fabrics at one sale. Yes, it's rare, but so much fun when you find it. You never know what you are going to find, for pennies on the dollar. It's a treasure hunt in your own backyard!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 AM

I got my backup Kenmore at an estate sale, two bins of quilting fabrics (one red fabrics, one blue) at another and am always looking forward to each weekend's hunt. Thanks to the poster above who said that her quilting items would go to a local quilt guild - I'll let my children know that's where mine should go if they don't want it.