Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobbs wool batting >

Hobbs wool batting

Hobbs wool batting

Old 04-26-2014, 10:35 PM

Default Hobbs wool batting

I have a king size Hobbs wool batting bought 4/5 years ago in a going out of buisness sale. It has been tightly rolled in its original packaging all this time. I have just opened it and it is full of crinkles and creases. Any sugesstions how to remove the creases and get it to lay flat?
Pippa
Old 04-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

the Hobbs wool battings I have used in the past *relaxed* when I opened them up & draped them over my quilting table. I would take them out of the package the evening before I planned to quilt and drape them --- when I went into the room the next morning they would be relaxed & ready- I've never had any problems with using a batting with some wrinkles- they smooth out just fine when smoothed over the backing- and quilt out just fine. it does seem like there are some instructions on the packaging about this also- or, visit the website & check for hints/tips ; some people toss them into a dryer with a damp towel & tumble /fluff them- I've never done that so no experience with how well that might work.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 AM

I like to pre-shrink my wool and also cotton battings. I am doing "big stitch" quilting on a Hobbs wool batt right now. I soaked (not washed) the batt in the washer and then laid it out on the tile floor to dry. While wet it can be patted and shaped. No creases and the batt is completely flat. It is a pleasure to stitch!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:39 AM

I do like ckcowl, open it up,lay it out somewhere and let it relax overnight. Sometimes I use a burst of steam (not ironing) and smooth it out with my hands as I go along. I lay it onto the backing on a quilt frame, smooth it out with my hands, then put the top on. I never have problems with crease inside the quilt.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 AM

I throw batting in my dryer on either air only or very low heat. Sometimes if it's really wrinkled, I through a damp wash cloth in with it. Comes out smooth.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I drape wrinkled batting over my frame, spritz with water, and let dry over night.