Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Just joined from NSW Australia, any other Aussies here? >

Just joined from NSW Australia, any other Aussies here?

Just joined from NSW Australia, any other Aussies here?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Just joined from NSW Australia, any other Aussies here?

Hi all, I've been looking for a site where I can show my quilts, get advice, give advice, meet people with the same interests etc in Australia, but only found one which is really struggling, so I'm hoping this site will fit the bill. It would be great if some on here are in Aus for meeting up at quilt shows etc
I'm still looking around the site, trying to find any help on why my top thread keeps breaking when FMQ, so frustrating! I've tried everything I can think of. Time for a machine service I think! Looking forward to meeting you all over the coming weeks, months and years!!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Welcome from Texas, USA
Old 04-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Perth, Western Australia. This site is amazing, plenty of advice, tips and of course fantastic pics of quilts to make your "to do" list grow into mammoth proportions. APQ magazine has many articles about local quilting groups (our library has a subscription so check if yours does). Because of my schedule I am a "lone quilter" but groups are out there - sometimes they are just a bit hard to find. Your local fabric store is likely to know of any groups in your region.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM

This site will certainly fit the bill! Welcome and waving from Colorado
Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If the thread is breaking during FMQ and not regular sewing, it is probably a stitching and hand speed thing and you will need to slow down. You might be pulling the sandwich enough for the needle to get close enough to the plate to cut the thread. Check to see if the thread path is Clear and not catching on anything. Some threads feed upright while other need to be horizontal depending on how the thread is on the spool (stacked or cross wound)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Hello and welcome from the Central Highlands of Queensland! This site has been great, I have learnt so much more from the wonderful and friendly quilters than I did when I was a member of a quilt club. I was a learner quilter and any classes were far too advanced for me, I was always so far behind the experienced members that I was embarrassed and eventually stopped taking them, preferring to potter along at home, as I do not wish to show or sell any quilts I make, just enjoying the satisfaction of producing a nice quilt.

I hope you enjoy this group as much as I do.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Hi from Wisconsin! Hopefully you can figure out your FMQ problem. That can be so frustrating!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If the thread is breaking during FMQ and not regular sewing, it is probably a stitching and hand speed thing and you will need to slow down. You might be pulling the sandwich enough for the needle to get close enough to the plate to cut the thread. Check to see if the thread path is Clear and not catching on anything. Some threads feed upright while other need to be horizontal depending on how the thread is on the spool (stacked or cross wound)
Hi, thanks for that. It's not the speed etc, I've done slow, fast and medium, used small trial pieces, changed needles, thread, cleaned everywhere etc and it still broke. It never used to, it's just recently. I managed 30 mins this afternoon by changing the top tension to 7, then it broke again. I think it might be the timing as I broke a needle a few weeks ago and thinking about it this problem started about the same time. Looks like I shall be without my machine for a week or more, darn. The sewing machine guy picks it up from shop and takes home to fix just once a week ...... withdrawals coming up!! I shall have to do some English paper piecing to keep me occupied until I get it back!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!