Hello All!

Old 04-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Default Hello All!

I've been busy lately & haven't checked in but wow! there's always something exciting here on QB. I've been trying very hard to be good since I have no more, no more, no more room for any machines period. (unless they are super special) I haven't been checking CL or Goodwill, well not much BUT it was city wide garage sales this past weekend and down the street there was the sweetest little jadeite green New Home Simplicity with all the cams in an ok little cabinet. It looks like a 3/4 machine as it has a short throat. It's so darn cute!!!! Only $15 but it didn't have a greyhound logo. I kept slapping my fingers, saying, "I don't want a cam machine, I don't want a cam machine." I actually did walk away but I keep hearing it calling my name, please adopt me, please take me home. I'm staying strong by working on my Godzilla green Greyhound so I can FM on it. My Elna is giving me fits with the thread fraying on straight line FMQ so I'm ordering a darning foot for the GG Greyhound. Thought I had one but I don't. Funny thing about the Green Godzilla Greyhound, it was just as easy to take off the feed dogs as it was to use a feed dog cover. If I use it mainly for FMQ, I don't need the feed dogs. This is not the group to provide support for not buying a machine, I know. Just wanted to say Hi.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I made up for your walking away from a very sweet deal...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Miriam, yes, you have been busy with 52 you couldn't say no to. I admire that bold action.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
Miriam, yes, you have been busy with 52 you couldn't say no to. I admire that bold action.
I needed some parts... Call it continuing education.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:10 PM

Good to see you're doing well.
Rodney
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 AM

Ahh, willpower! How long before that "super" must-have comes along...ha ha. Be sure to let us know & see the next can't refuse machine! I agree that Miriam is one brave person to take on all she has.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 AM

I know where that New Home Simplicity lives so if anyone wants one, I can get it for you & arrange a meet. I'm putting a shout out for a darning foot for my Green Godzilla Greyhound New Home Model LLC Type J. It has a top down screw that wraps around the shank & goes up & down rather than the usual side screw type. I've asked Sew Classic about it, too. I don't think the feet on the website will work but they may have something in their shop. I'd like to try it as a dedicated FMQ machine.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 AM

If you find a hopping foot for a top clamp, please share. I plan on making one later this summer, so we'll see how that goes. I've got enough feet to mess with, but will probably go with a bar mount setup using older bar clamp feet. Not sure if you machine as a screw on adaptor or a slip on adaptor with a set screw.

I also wonder if you couldn't replace the presser bar with one out of Singer machine - but I'm not sure if Singer feet would fit - as you'd have to have the needle hole in the right spot, and I think your machine is slightly off center - but for a hopping foot, that might not matter - just get one with a bigger circle- and know that the needle is not centered. Should not be a problem unless you are doing ruler work, and I don't think you would with FMQ.

I plan on spending time figuring that all out so I can use some of my older top clamp machines for FMQ - I do have a darning hoping foot for my Standard machine, and it will work but the foot is very small in diameter compared to modern hopping feet.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Cathy, why are you considering FMQ when you could get a perfectly good used Gammill somewhere on one of your road trips? I hear HQ16 is a good one, and Nolting has good factory service, and there are a couple more that I saw being demonstrated at Paducah....stitch regulated big machine installed on a 15' frame is the way to go, girl. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 AM

hehehe - for the FUN of it LOL!! especially since I do own a 15" Bailey set up on a king size Gracie frame in my Dining room where my table use to be.

But the challenge is seeing if I can come up with a hopping foot that will work with a top clamp attachment point - I typically use one of my Singer 15's for FMQ, for the little bit of that I do. I also use that as my bobbin winder for the Bailey as it also takes class 15 bobbins.

Since taking this picture my husband has made me a nice light systems that mounts over the top - put in 2 3' florescent fixtures so I have lots of light now. The Chandelier didn't quite do the job.