Stencil Magic Spray

Stencil Magic Spray

Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Default Stencil Magic Spray

Marking Magic Spray--How to transfer stencils

I need to get me a can of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de68WAUFcf4
Old 05-17-2014, 08:00 AM

Lots of overspray. The light spray she talks of...did not work so well. I had to spray 3 to 4 times to get it heavy enough to see. And I was using brown fabric! The stencil has to be cleaned between every few uses. The chalk has a sticky feeling as you quilt and I did not like the way it gummed up my needle. Maybe because I had to use so much to see it, it was thick. It does wash out nice, so that was a plus. If I could figure out how to spray it to get the results she got, I may be happy. I will try it again on the next quilt, give it another chance.

Last edited by Bneighbor; 05-17-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 AM

I had the same experience as bneighbor. An unused can sits on my shelf.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:25 AM

I also had that same experience with this brand of quilt marking spray. SOme of my markings on the quilt rubbed off before I got to that part. SOmeone else on the board is trying the June Taylor brand. I am curious to hear if it works any better.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 AM

I love this stuff. I use it a lot for my quilt marking. I made 2 carboard L shapes that fit together around the stencil and I get no spray on the fabric just the stencil and that is washable. Love this spray.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Really interesting that this topic came up. One day last week, I was brushing my teeth, wearing a black t-shirt, and drooled down my front (doesn't that always happen when you're in hurry to leave the house?) Of course I had to change my shirt, couldn't get the toothpaste out just by wiping it with a washcloth, but knew it would come out in the wash--Eureka moment, experiment time when I got back home--Toothpaste! It works! I diluted white toothpaste in about 1 tablespoon of water to the consistency of pancake syrup (experiment to see what works for you and won't plug up your sprayer), put it in a small fine mist sprayer, held the sprayer about 6-8 inches above the stencil, sprayed lightly a couple times and it worked! First few times I was too close and I had seepage under the stencil, it dried very quickly, didn't rub off, but washed out just fine. I did use a couple sheets of paper at the edges of the stencil to catch the overspray, but there wasn't much, and the stencil rinsed off easily also under running water. Next, I'm going to dilute with rubbing alcohol, to see if it dries faster, doesn't rub off, and washes out ok. Haven't done that yet, just excited that my first experiment worked. If you try this, please post your results, I hope it works for you too. Oh, I also moistened a foam make-up sponge and rubbed the toothpaste on, works well too, but the spray is faster. The only thing I didn't like, but can definitely live with is the line is the thickness of the stencil cut, I like my lines a little thinner.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM

I'm too tight with my money to spend $13 on a can, I'll try San Luis' experiment though.