Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
to fix or not to fix? >

to fix or not to fix?

to fix or not to fix?

Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM

Default to fix or not to fix?

I have a Memory craft New Home 8000

This machine was given to me a few years ago, the machine sews well and did great FMQ.

The things that are wrong with it, the light on the display is out, won't work so the only way I can see what stitches that it is set on is to use a flashlight. Which isn't to bad. There is no embroidery unite so can't do any machine embroidery with it. some of the fancy stitches won't sew out.

after almost finishing a queen size quilt, piecing it and doing the FMQ with this machine, on the last boarder the machine just turned off. no power to it at all. Before this happened I did notice that the machine would slow down, I would turn it off for a little while turn it back on and it would be fine and then start going slow again. when this happened I just wanted to get this quilt done so kept FMQ at a slow speed. this is when it just up and died. anyone know if there is a rest set switch on a sewing machine?

Also my question knowing all that is wrong and how old it is would you take it in to be checked out to see what is wrong with it? Do they charge to just look at a machine? I know that the light repair cost a lot if they can find the parts.

I do have two other machine so it is not like I would be without a machine. Just wondering if I should have it fixed or not....Thank you
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

That is a hard question. DSM are just like cars. I would think that a dealer can at least give you some sort of an estimate. I have a Bernina 1530 I bought new. It has a light switch which doesn't work well but then I don't turn the light off with the sewing machine on so I have never had it fixed. Good Luck.....
Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM

The 8000 doesn't HAVE and embroidery unit. It's built in. I have the 9000 which is the model right after it. The embroidery section is on the main menu and you attach the hoop directly to the machine. You will likely find that it will be at least a $200 repair, maybe more if there are circuit boards needing replacing. They'r e great machines but you'll have to decide how much $ to put into it.

Most dealers would likely give you a free estimate, however I'm sure they're going to try to persuade you to buy a new machine. I still have my 9000 and don't plan on parting with it until it poops out. It rather sounds like yours may be too far gone to be worth the costs. You could search ebay(closed auctions) to see what used 8000 machines have sold for and sort of get an idea what the "worth " of the machine is and go from there? If a used 8000 is going for much less than it would cost to repair...you kind of have your answer.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM

A replacement backlight is available on eBay for about $75. I remember when those machines came out they were hugely expensive, now just a few hundred will buy one. If you don't use the embroidery part, or the decorative stitches and you have other machines, it doesn't seem worth it to fix it. If you do use the decorative stitches or you want to expand into embroidery (maybe to make labels for your quilts) it wouldn't hurt to get an estimate.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Another thought is the slowing down & quitting could just be the foot pedal/cable & I believe replacements aren't terribly expensive.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Mdegenhart miggt be right, have you checked the foot pedal? It could even be a build up of lint inside the pedal, and if you open it carefully you can clean it and see if that works, or can you try a pedal from another machine? The light on your display, has that ever worked for you? There is a little round dial that adjusts the brightness and this can get turned down so much there is no display.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 AM

Call around and find out if you can get a repair estimate before you make your decision. I have moved since but used to have a sewing and vac repair near my home that would give free estimates. The guy was "connected" aka knew many different machine dealers that he could get used parts from old machines that were trade ins. He just enjoyed the challenge of finding the parts and "saving" a machine.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Wow..candace I never knew that the embroidery unite was built in, still I don't have the hoop for it, also that was a good idea to go on ebay and see what other 8000 sold for , will check that out too and notmorecraft and ndigenhart I never thought to check the foot pedal or cord, do you think that if one or the other was bad it would make the machine just go dead and while I was fmq? I will check that out for sure...auntv I'll call and check to see how much it would cost to have the machine checked out..
Ladies thank you so much for all of your advice..

as I said I have a husqvarna #1+ and a singer XL1000.which was given to me also, both machine do embroidery so I was never interested in trying to embroidery with the memory craft 8000..I sure will try some of the things you have suggested and see where it take me...Thanks a lot.. your guys are great..
Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 AM

I would bring it to a repair shop and let them look at it and tell me what's wrong and how much it would cost to fix it.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 AM

Most dealers will offer a free estimate or take the cost of the estimate off the repair charge.
I would give it a try...

I have 3 of the SingerXL1000's, LOVE that machine. I keep one at home, one travels with me to craft shows, and the third is the oldest and has the most miles and a couple of issues. The third is going to be used as a donor machine and will be parted out as needed to make the other 2 work.