Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How can I stop FW finish from flaking? >

How can I stop FW finish from flaking?

How can I stop FW finish from flaking?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Default How can I stop FW finish from flaking?

I quilted a vintage quilt for my SIL (pieced by her GM) and, in payment, they got me a 1953 FW from ebay. It arrived today (I didn't know it was coming). It's a little dusty and dirty and I'm having a little trouble adjusting the tension. I already have another FW so I think I can figure out the tension prob. But the finish is flaking off around the throat plate. It's kind of bubbly in that area and some more of the finish flaked off when I was test sewing with it so I don't want to play with it until I can figure out how to stop the flaking. Any ideas? Is there something I can brush or spray on it or could I take it somewhere to have a new clear coat applied to halt the flaking?
The great thing about this machine is all the attachments that came with it: Button-holer! Zig-zag attachment! Blind-stitch attachment! Ruffler, bias binder, narrow hem foot, and a couple I don't know what they are. The manual is intact and the big attachments have original boxes and instructions, too.
Attached Thumbnails 20140521_121911_resized.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM

Check THIS TUTORIAL .
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Problem with machines made from aluminum in the old days, paint doesnt adhere as well as cast iron. I'm thinking they probably didnt use alodine or zinc chromate. Moisture gets in and here you are. Touch up psint perhaps and french polish wvshellac. But id wait for more members give replies.