Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:03 AM

Default Thread

I was looking to buy some black thread at my LQS. The thread does not have a color printed on it so I looked on the shelf and again--no color. I asked the employee if she thought it was navy or black thread. She replied that they would never make a navy thread so it had to be black.

I used it to SITD on a black and red quilt top. The quilt I made was for the backseat of my car. I took the quilt outside in the bright sunlight.....and it turns out that the thread is actually brown.

I am just thankful that the quilt was for my own use and not a gift. It looks fine.

I do think printing the colors on the spool would be helpful!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-26-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: remove consumer complaint
Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I agree. I have used Mettler for over 20 years. White is 002, Black is 003, Ecru is 810 and what I call snow is 887.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I have navy blue thread! When I looked for it (6 spools), I compared it to a couple other spools and stood by a window. When I buy dark thread, I mark the end with bl, black, brw (brown) and nvy (navy) or just nb (navy blue).
Old 05-26-2014, 06:34 AM

I agree.. I don't know why they can't put that on the spool?? I wish they would. I have some that don't even have color code numbers.. so if I want to buy another roll of the same thing I don't know what I bought in the first place.....
Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 AM

I have navy thread too. And I agree with everyone on "why can't they put the color on the spool".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-26-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I agree. I have used Mettler for over 20 years. White is 002, Black is 003, Ecru is 810 and what I call snow is 887.
I use these, too. It makes it easy when you're in front of a thread display. "Snow" is a perfect name for 887. It's such a versatile, soft white. Navy is another story, though. There are several of those, and I always buy the wrong one if I don't have a swatch with me.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 05-26-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
I was looking to buy some black thread at my LQS. The thread does not have a color printed on it so I looked on the shelf and again--no color. I asked the employee if she thought it was navy or black thread. She replied that they would never make a navy thread so it had to be black.

I used it to SITD on a black and red quilt top. The quilt I made was for the backseat of my car. I took the quilt outside in the bright sunlight.....and it turns out that the thread is actually brown.

I am just thankful that the quilt was for my own use and not a gift. It looks fine.

I do think printing the colors on the spool would be helpful!
Not only do I own navy thread, I own many different shades of navy thread!

The best way to tell if something is black, is to compare it to something else, you know is black (fabric, printing on a card, shoes, whatever).
Old 05-26-2014, 07:31 AM

What on earth did she mean about they would never make a navy thread? Was she referring to a specific manufacturer? That statement seems a bit silly to me as I own several spools of navy thread. And yes, I have to compare them to different spools to check which color I am using.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I totally understand why they do not label a thread as a colour name. There is an machine embroidery thread that I buy, that does label their threads by names .... but gosh, some of the names really have no relevance to what the colour is, to me.

There are numerous variations of most any colour.
Already mentioned above ..... several navies ... and we all have a different visual of what "navy" is .... bright, dark, in between, etc.!
Likewise, for other colours .... take a look when you are in a store at the different fabrics that are "white". On the weekend someone had a thread about all the different shades of blacks, when buying fabric.

And so on ........

Coding it with a number makes total sense
.... and then all ten colours of forest green (or whatever), are different!
Then it is up to us, the consumer, to match away to their little ♥'s content!

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-26-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I have color cards for all the brands of thread I use for machine quilting. I have taken my color cards to shops when I'm told a brand of thread isn't made in that color. Some owners really backtrack then and get all flustered. That's when I found out they didn't want to order the color just keep their stock colors. This has happened more then several times at different shops. Why not just say I don 't want to order it, instead of it's not made.