Door Prize Question

Old 06-14-2014, 09:14 AM
tka

Default Door Prize Question

One of our local sewing machine centers has donated a new sewing machine as a door prize for our quilt show. This will be our big door prize. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle the give-away? Should the winner have to be present to win? Thanks for your input!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 AM

I personally think a person does not have to be present to win, they could have gotten ill or had an emergency, whatever. If you call their ticket, then they win....period. When they give out Oscars, if a person isn't present, they sure don't give it to anyone else. I went to a quilt show in Texas and they sold raffles for the door prize for a couple of bucks.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 AM

I attended an afternoon show put on by a sewing guild -- not just quilting. They had tons of door prizes including a new sewing machine. Each person was given one ticket when they entered (can't remember if admission was free or just a dollar or two), so everyone had one chance at the prizes. You could buy additional tickets to get more chances. You had to be present to win, but the entire event only lasted several hours. The only problems with not needing to be present to win is that each ticket in the drawing would have to have name and contact info filled out -- you couldn't just state the ticket number as the winner -- and if the person wasn't there arrangements for pickup of the machine would need to be made.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 AM

I don't participate in raffles where I have to be present to win. I can see myself being distracted or taking a restroom break when numbers are called and my luck in winning these things is pretty slim anyway. just my opinion ........
Old 06-16-2014, 04:15 AM

I like not having to be present to win. There are any number of reasons why I might have to step out for a minute or leave altogether.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't buy a ticket on prize if I had to be present to win. I can see how the guild members would like the idea of being present to win because they would be working the show. The general public is not going to want to hang around all day.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 AM

Here for the big prizes the guild members sell raffle tickets all year. They take a booth at every event that goes on around here.

Present to win tickets are called every hour and prizes are stuff donated by the members.