Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made? >

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM

Default Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

I've been a quilter with passion for 20 years. I think I made 1 baby quilt close to 40 years ago. But lately people have been asking me if I have a notebook of all my quilts. The answer is, no. Other than the album here, I've never put a notebook together.

In the past 10 years I've taken pictures of my quilts. Usually I try to take a picture of the quilt and the person I gave it to for the ones I've given away. So, I'm thinking I need to put all those pictures together to make a notebook. Have any of you done that and would be willing to share what information you include for each quilt?

One day I was surfing on the net and found one woman that has very detailed info about each quilt she makes.... swatches of the fabric, sketches, etc. I don't know where that site was, can't find it now. So, any help with this would be appreciated. I probably don't have every fabric or other information now for the ones I've made years ago but it would help my kids when they clean out my stash and stack of quilts if they had some info about the ones I've finished. And when people ask me what quilts I've made, I'd have a notebook, right?

So, what do you include in your notebook of quilts? Post a picture if you don't mind. Thanks.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 06-16-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

well i've tried to take photos and keep those in a small book. Quilts, paintings, crafts. But the last few years I've not done so well in keeping track. I never got to jotting things in a book.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 AM

I have a picture album of my quilts. Note on who I gave it to and the date made.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 AM

I keep a notebook that I list everything I make. Fun to look back and see what all I did in past years. I sew, quilt, and do embroidery.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:14 AM

I don't have one, but I am about to make one. The information I need most later on is the dimension of the blocks and/or a diagram of the layout. I usually use scraps, so yardage isn't available. I find that I want to make something similar to a quilt I have done before and can't remember pertinent information. I would include a picture, dimensions, reference to instruction location (or my own sketch), and then finally where the quilt went. I can definitely see the value as well as the enjoyment from it.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

My notebook, is actually in my computer. I take pictures of them in progress, and have a list of when I made them, what I named them, when they were completed, the size, who I gave them to, the size, and a few other things as well.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Like Anne (Boston1954) I keep all my information in digital form. For each quilt I make, I have a folder (on the computer) with pictures. I include the date in YYYY_MM_DD form in the beginning of the folder title so it's easy to sort in order of when the quilts were made. So one folder might be called "2014_01_10 scrappy log cabin on point". I also keep an Excel spreadsheet with the date finished, size, recipient, list of shows the quilt has been in (if any), and any other pertinent notes. I haven't been keeping track of batting, but I think I should. (And yes, my computer is backed up regularly.)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 AM

When I started my first quilt I took pictures as I went along, from start to finish. It was a denim, disappearing 9 patch using all the jeans we found in my sister's closet. Since then I only take pictures of the finished top. Notice I said 'finished top'.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 AM

I started to do that years ago. I kept the pattern, swatches of the fabrics, my notes, and a picture of the finished quilt. Now, usually, all the quilt gets is a possible digital photo or two. It got to the point that A) I never looked at the old notebooks, and B) when I'm gone, who's going to care. I was so passionate about quilting when I started, and now it's just one of a few enjoyable hobbies.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Banned

I just purchased a software program called "Quilt Album" it is $29.95
with a 30 day full refund if not happy.

From many things I have heard and read this is a great computer program
for logging all the quilt info.

If anyone is interested here is a link to read more about it.

QUILT ALBUM

Last edited by Quilty-Louise; 06-16-2014 at 07:35 AM.