Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Montana shop closing >

Montana shop closing

Montana shop closing

Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Default Montana shop closing

I recently visited the quilt shop in Thompson Falls, MT. The owner told me that unless there was a miracle, she would be closing at the end of July. The shop has been in this small tow for 30 years. Friendly people, social sewing groups... Breaks my heart to see this happen in such a cute town where there is nothing comparable for MANY, MANY miles! Currently she has a 30% off sale on already reasonable prices. (I am not affiliated with the business)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

There goes another one. It seems as the original owners retire, they can't anyone to buy them out.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM

I can probably add a little insight. On that issue. I bought our local quilt store last year when I retired. If it were not for the local bank being willing to invest in me and working with me to find a way to make it work, it would not have happened. After 6months of jumping through the hoops being willing to put up everything we owned and promising the rest, still was no closer to getting a final answer from small business administration. It was oh we just need this, every single week, and you you didn't pay and take time off to attend our classes so now we need this. So finally went to local bank and said ok what can you do, 2 days and I had approval & guess what I didn't have to put up everything I own. So I am now coming up on my first year in business and doing well. The other thing is that inventory only is considered to be10% of its value for collateral & 50% for fixtures by sba so anyone wanting to purchase a business has to basically be able to buy it out right. Sad isn't it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Oh no! It seems as though I hear about another quilt shop closing once a week. The one thing that we, as quilters can do, is shop at them...often. I feel so guilty when I shop at "Big Box" fabric stores. They are open late and have good sales but for me, with better planning, I can shop at my LQS more often.This has motivated me.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM

I've stopped there myself. It is sad how many shops have closed. I can't help but wonder if many of them have priced their fabric, etc. so high that folks can't or won't pay the prices. I know I rarely purchase anything but backing and I usually order it on line. I am blessed with a huge stash, so I can usually find something to use.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by squires1042 View Post
I can probably add a little insight. On that issue. I bought our local quilt store last year when I retired. If it were not for the local bank being willing to invest in me and working with me to find a way to make it work, it would not have happened. After 6months of jumping through the hoops being willing to put up everything we owned and promising the rest, still was no closer to getting a final answer from small business administration. It was oh we just need this, every single week, and you you didn't pay and take time off to attend our classes so now we need this. So finally went to local bank and said ok what can you do, 2 days and I had approval & guess what I didn't have to put up everything I own. So I am now coming up on my first year in business and doing well. The other thing is that inventory only is considered to be10% of its value for collateral & 50% for fixtures by sba so anyone wanting to purchase a business has to basically be able to buy it out right. Sad isn't it.

Congratulations on your business, your tenacity shows that you really wanted this business venture!

Thank-you for your insight into the hoops and ridiculous-mess of our elected 'officials'???? ~ with yet another example of bureaucracy in action, bogged down with rules and regulations from an out-of-touch Washington D.C.

All-in-all congratulations and wishes for long success to your business in one of the most beautiful areas of our nation!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM

I do my very best to buy all of the fabric I purchase as local LQS stores because I believe in small business and I like to purchase quality items. I am a careful shopper and I pay attention to sales in these stores. I try not to go to big box stores and I know I pay a few cents more on items but I enjoy being called by name and asked it I need help or suggestions. I get great advice for which I am thankful-my own ideas can use refinement sometimes. I am saddened when local businesses can't make it.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:23 AM

I have ordered several different things from her, and will be sad if they have to close. Its such a neat shop and such great customer service. They will surely be missed. And its so far from there to Missoula