Handcrank Machine

Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Default Handcrank Machine

I have what I believe to be a 1940 Singer hand-crank sewing machine. It has numbers EC650103 on the lower right hand side of it's front. It is in an oak looking case with a little box made into the base that appears to be where you might keep attachments. The cover looks like oak wood and has a rounded shape. I would like to know how to determine if it was really a hand-crank when made or if it has been converted from electric to the hand-crank. Is there a way for me to tell?

I am sorry but I do not know how to post pictures. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM

According to ISMACS here: { http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...l-numbers.html }
The serial number you gave is for a 201K, 1 of 30,000 allotted March 6, 1940.

Weather or not it left the factory as a HC machine I don't know, nor do I know how to tell.

Joe

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-28-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: pm
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM

thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-28-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: based on prev edited post
Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Betty,

Don't worry about it too much. I don't have a smart phone. Mine's stupid and old. All it does is make phone calls and do texts.
I use a digital camera and download the pics to my PC. No laptops, no tablets, none of them new fangled things.

Here is the page on ISMACS for the 201s { http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-machines.html }.
They actually have a "K" model shown in there.

Joe
Old 07-26-2014, 01:23 PM

Hi Betty,

New member here! I bought my first HC, a Frister and Rossmann, about a month ago and I'm in love with it. What took me so long, I don't know. But I know mine is an original because the hand crank has decals on it that match the decals on the machine. Are there decals on yours?

One issue I've got with mine is that when I take my hand off the wheel the mechanism is so heavy (and so smooth, BTW!) that the needle tends to come down and so I have difficulty removing the fabric without using my third arm. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that

Kathy
Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Limeystitch View Post
Hi Betty,

New member here! I bought my first HC, a Frister and Rossmann, about a month ago and I'm in love with it. What took me so long, I don't know. But I know mine is an original because the hand crank has decals on it that match the decals on the machine. Are there decals on yours?

One issue I've got with mine is that when I take my hand off the wheel the mechanism is so heavy (and so smooth, BTW!) that the needle tends to come down and so I have difficulty removing the fabric without using my third arm. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that

Kathy
Kathy,

My Singer 99K HC does the same thing. I think it's the weight of the hand crank handle that just finds the lowest point to stop. Sometimes I can stop it with the needle up, sometimes I think I do and then it just decides to come down on it's own. And sometimes it just won't cooperate one bit.

But I seem to to make it work OK.

Joe
Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Joe,

And then I find my feet automatically searching for the treadle plate to hold it up before I nail my finger! Har har...guess they take some getting used to. My teacher back in elementary school used to make us kids turn the crank. Wonder if I could teach my cat how to do it. Maybe I should borrow a donkey!

Kath
Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

You can set up your HC to stop with the needle up. Just take it off the machine, turn the machine with the needle going up and then put the HC back on. The weight of the HC will pull it to the same stop position each time.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

actually on the German's just disengage the crank from the wheel by folding the end bit. then take Miriams awesome advice.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 PM

I assume that the gear ratio, is an even number?... If not, It won't always end at the same point. It would make sense that it would be even, to preclude just that, but,...?
(By even, I don't mean 2,4,6 etc, but rather the number of teeth of the large gear, is a multiple of the number of teeth on the small gear.)

Last edited by oldsewnsew; 07-26-2014 at 07:46 PM.