Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99K Motor slows and stops after sewing a while - Why? >

99K Motor slows and stops after sewing a while - Why?

99K Motor slows and stops after sewing a while - Why?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Default 99K Motor slows and stops after sewing a while - Why?

When sewing some painting tarp material, the 99K sewed beautifully at first but after sewing for several minutes the motor got hot and slowed down and eventually stopped. This machine is new to me and I oiled it but am not sure what to do with the motor. What would make it do this? Is there anything I can do or do I need to find a person that repairs old sewing machines? Cindy in Cali
Old 08-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cflykins View Post
When sewing some painting tarp material, the 99K sewed beautifully at first but after sewing for several minutes the motor got hot and slowed down and eventually stopped. This machine is new to me and I oiled it but am not sure what to do with the motor. What would make it do this? Is there anything I can do or do I need to find a person that repairs old sewing machines? Cindy in Cali
Do your thing and when it slows right down, disconnect the belt and run it again: Very important to identify what's actually slowing down before trying to fix it
Old 08-16-2014, 02:13 AM
Power Poster

Mike is right - if it is the motor you can get a new motor. If it is the machine you may need to clean and oil it. You could put a hand crank on it if it is the motor.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 AM

Singer motors for the 99s use grease for lube, not oil. If you can't find the correct Singer motor lube in the tube, it's not the white stuff currently sold by sears, then get a craft syringe and use petroleum jelly. Inject the lube into the grease tubes at each end of the motor.

A belt that is too tight will cause the motor to over heat. It should be just tight enough so it doesn't slip. When tight enough it will look loose. This goes for a real V-belt, not the el cheapo rubber band belts.

The motor could also be dirty or oily inside and need the brushes inspected and cleaned.

Joe
Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check into what's the matter until I return to Colorado. I live in California and gave the machine to my daughter, who lives in Colorado, after my raving about how great these old machines sew. Me and my big mouth!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by cflykins View Post
Unfortunately, I won't be able to check into what's the matter until I return to Colorado.
Take your time, we're very patient