Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is Moda Marbles Baby White white enough? >

is Moda Marbles Baby White white enough?

is Moda Marbles Baby White white enough?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
IQ2

Default is Moda Marbles Baby White white enough?

I just got a jelly roll of Moda Marbles warm colors for a class mystery quilt. I need a white background fabric and found that Moda Marbles also has a Marbles Baby White. Has anyone used it? Can you please tell me if it's a true white, or has shades of yellow, pink or beige in it? I want to give the quilt a more modern look with a more stark white background. In the past I have used Kaufman Kona white which worked out fine, but I thought that the Moda Marble might work better since the rest of the fabrics are from that collection.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give me.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM

I think using bright white doesn't go well with your warm colors. Warm background would work better.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Agreed. Bright white MIGHT make your other colors look "dirty". Do you have any pieces of white in your stash to lay next to your colors?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM
IQ2

Our assignment for the mystery quilt calls for dark strips and light background fabric (white, beige, etc). I was hoping someone on the board has seen the marble baby white in person. The pics on line aren't clear enough to see if the white is pure. I HAVE, lined the strips up on a pure white surface and I DO like the contrast.

Last edited by IQ2; 09-05-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 AM

When I googled that fabric and it came up on the Missouri Star Quilt Company's website, it definitely had yellow in it. Maybe compare pics of the fabric from several sites or email a company and ask their opinion. I once emailed Timeless Treasures to see if a later white fabric would coordinate with some earlier prints I had on hand, and they told me of two fabrics that would work.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 AM

I am currently using the Marbles Baby White. It is not white! I was purposely looking for a very yellow white to go with the fabric line I'm using, and this is very yellow. I don't think it would be a good choice for you.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:24 AM
IQ2

Thanks you guys! I appreciate all of your feedback. It's so hard to buy on line when you have a specific color requirement.
Joe'smom--that was exactly what I feared...thanks.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Whites are especially difficult, since the color variations are so subtle. Sometimes I do the sensible thing, and order small amounts of various whites. When I'm looking for a solid white, I go to the Fat Quarter Shop. They have a good selection of whites, and their photos are quite accurate for hue. When you put several whites in your shopping cart, it is easy to compare the differences. I prop my fabrics up around the computer screen. In fact, I'm waiting for an order of white fabric that might arrive today or Monday. Will it be right? Will it be wrong? I can hardly stand the suspense.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 AM

After reading your post, I looked at the color chart at my LQS for Moda Marbles. I work there part time. The Baby white is the whitest color made in a marble, and in my opinion is gorgeous! It could not be called a bright white as there are subtle variations in it, but they do not tend toward yellow or tan (at least not compared to the next ones in the sample chart). Keep in mind the samples are about 1 by 2 inches big. I think it would look great with your marble brights! Show us your progress on it!

Linda in Missouri