Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt a jelly roll quilt... >

How to quilt a jelly roll quilt...

How to quilt a jelly roll quilt...

Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Default How to quilt a jelly roll quilt...

I have just my domestic machine and am still in the learning process, how do you all suggest quilting a jelly roll quilt? I was thinking either diagonally or just along the lines of each strip. Thanks, Kelly~
Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

There are many free patterns for using pre cut jelly roll fabrics. You don't have to sew them in strips. Google jelly roll pattern and see if there is something that you like.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Sorry, I must not have been clear. I am in the process of piecing the strips but I want to have ideas from you experienced ladies as to how to 'quilt' it. I mostly do just straight lines. :-) It's going to measure about 67"x67"
Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 PM

You can use this as a chance to practice one or more designs, using each strip or every other strip or every third strip, depending on how closely your batting requires. You could do hearts, vine and leaf, ribbon candy, circles, etc.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM

I am glad you asked this. I just finished a strip top which is just strips, nothing fancy. I'm thinking of something like what is done in this pillow because it's very simple and because my free motion skills aren't there yet.

~ Carla ~
Old 09-19-2014, 02:23 PM

I made four jelly roll race lap-size quilts for our four grandkiddies in their favorite colours. I quilted each with their favorite colour using Superior King Tut or Rainbows in a diagonal pattern which created a diamond pattern using my machine's serpentine stitch.

Whatever pattern you chose, have fun!.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I would suggest heavily spray starching the top before layering, and also heavily starching the backing. This helps stabilize the fabric and prevent stretching/distortion/puckers when quilting.

I would think diagonal lines would be more difficult. For one thing, you would be mostly sewing on the bias of the fabrics which makes stretching/distortion of the top and backing more likely. For another, you would be crossing a lot of seams which makes stitching problems somewhat more likely.

What I really like (and it has the advantage of also being easy!) is wavy lines across the quilt. Here is an example:
http://imperamagna.blogspot.com/2012...-finished.html
This is especially nice on modern quilts; might not be as attractive on vintage style fabrics. To achieve this look, it really helps to use a walking foot. All you need to do is guide the quilt sandwich from side-to-side to create the waves (it is a straight stitch), and the waves definitely do not need to be equal distances apart from each other.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM

That is exactly what is on the pillow I linked to, and I really like it on the quilt. Thanks for cementing my decision, Prism99.

~ Carla ~
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM

I am also a big fan of wavy lines using your walking foot. I have done several this way. You could do one wavy line down the middle of each jelly roll strip. Straight lines always look great too and if you do them I would do one on each seam line and one down the middle of each strip so your lines will be 1" apart. Or you can combine them and do straight line SID on each seam and one wavy line down the center of the strip. Lots of options!!
Old 09-20-2014, 02:33 PM

I have made several jelly roll quilts and I just did the Stitch in the Ditch and one down the center of each strip. They turned out really pretty.