Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where's a good resource for layouts? >

Where's a good resource for layouts?

Where's a good resource for layouts?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Arrow Where's a good resource for layouts?

Is there a good place to see different layouts fr blocks?
for instance, how to arrange hst/nine patches/whatever to achieve different effects?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I'm not 100% sure this is what you are looking for, but "Setting Solutions", by sharyn craig, is a wonderful resource on setting blocks, especially blocks that may not all be the same exact size, like sampler blocks or those that came from a block exchange. Amazon lists some used copies.
http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...s+sharyn+craig

Another alternative would be to get Electronic Quilter (EQ7). This will let you design blocks, clone them and then play with the layout. You can also just use a draw or paint program, but it's a bit more fiddly than EQ7.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 PM

I'd start by scouring the library or a used book store for block books by Judy Martin, Judy Hopkins, Marsha McCloskey and Maggie Malone.

I'd also hunt for book titles about settings, sashings and borders.

If you really want to dive in head first, Electric Quilt software is wonderful for playing with different block and sashing layouts.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Google is your friend... I put in the search field: Images Quilts [hst/nine patches/] [insert your block name here]
usually, tons of images come up... i get lots of inspiration there. and if you click on the picture, you can click on Visit Page. lots of times there is information on the pattern listed at that page
Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I use Electric Quilt. Great program for layouts. I do enjoy looking at the quilt show I find when I Google a pattern and so many quilts appear. So inspiring !!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Google - search images! examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=log+cabin+layout&rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{mozfficia l}&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5jUrVLqHF-3isATj7oL4Dw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1138&bih=507#rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{moz fficial}&tbm=isch&q=half+square+triangle+quilt+layout

https://www.google.com/search?q=log+cabin+layout&rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{mozfficia l}&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5jUrVLqHF-3isATj7oL4Dw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1138&bih=507#rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{moz fficial}&tbm=isch&q=9+patch+quilt+layout

https://www.google.com/search?q=log+cabin+layout&rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{mozfficia l}&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5jUrVLqHF-3isATj7oL4Dw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1138&bih=507#rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{moz fficial}&tbm=isch&q=log+cabin+quilt+layout
Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM

I like Electric Quilt but it is a little expensive - at least to me it is. There are some other free options out there though. 1. Jenny Beyer 2. Free Quilt Patterns 3. Quilt Study 4. My Web Quilter 5. Quilting Studio 6. Quilt Assistant 7. Thread Bias 8. Quiltivate 9. Pattern Jam

I have all these bookmarked and have try playing with 6 of these so far. All have a learning curve but so would Electric Quilt.

I haven't made all that many quilts and those I have made, I have started with a quilt I liked and then used graph paper and drew out what I liked about and then what I wanted different and they have all turned out just fine and just the way I wanted but my tastes aren't along the traditional line. But you can design whatever on all the above. They all have programs that are completely free and some want you to upgrade to bigger and better but I've not upgrade any. Just trying to give you a starting point for zero money.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 AM

Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:30 AM

I get tons of inspiration from Pinterest. You can do a search for, say churn dash quilts and all kinds of settings and color combinations will pop up.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:04 AM

A great big thanks to Wow I Like That. Great info. and sights.