Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for a hummus recipe >

Looking for a hummus recipe

Looking for a hummus recipe

Old 10-04-2014, 04:54 AM

Default Looking for a hummus recipe

My family enjoys hummus, I have tried a homemade recipe and can never get it just right. So I buy it and it is pricey, considering beans are reasonable. Does anyone have a recipe they would care to share? I have some in the fridge that i made, think it is headed towards recycling bucket. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2014, 07:04 AM

I have heard, use canned chickpeas and slip the skins off. Makes it extra smooth. I have not tried it though.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 AM

I make it often, but never measured anything. I use canned chick peas, drained and rinsed. I have also used dried peas, that I soaked for hours and then cooked.
I put a clove or more of garlic in food processor and run it, add the chick peas, squeezed lemon, salt, cumin, olive oil- just a bit. Purée it all. If I have an avocado on hand,I will add half, so good. The seasonings really depend on how much you prefer. Enjoy.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:15 PM

http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...my-hummus.html for a traditional hummus. This one is good if you like chipotle http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...an-hummus.html . I sub pinto beans for the kidney and lemon juice for the lime juice. I never add the agave, lime zest or cilantro.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 AM

This is delicious

Tin of chickpeas
1/4 pint of tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 cloves of garlic
Juice of 1-2 lemons
Salt and pepper

Drain chickpeas reserving liquid. Place chickpeas in a blender with remaining ingredients seasoning with salt and pepper at end. Add enough of reserved liquid to make a soft creamy paste.

It's ages since I made this think I will get the ingredients and make some tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:52 AM

I make hummus different ways for different times of the year. When I want a clean taste for spring and summer I use a cucumber in the food processor. I have found a large strong powerful processor work best for a creamy texture. In fall and winter I add alot of garlic and roasted peppers. The must have is Tahini and chicken peas. Cans are faster but expensive when doing lots of hummus. The dry takes longer and work cooking and getting those skins off but must cheaper and makes about 6 cups. Use olive oil you can add pine nuts but they are costly. I sprinkle paprika on top to add color and taste. My husband likes HOT peppers so after I make mine I'll leave some hummus in the food processor and add a few to the finished for him. Enjoy.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 AM

Like you I could never get my hummus to taste just like the store bought. It wasn't as creamy. I read an article, which naturally I can't find right now, that talked about processing the tahini longer. Since I've done that it's pretty darn close to store bought.
Use whatever recipe you have but put your tahini in the food processor first and process it alone for several minutes. Then as you add the other ingredients process them longer. It takes more than just putting them in the food processor and grinding them up.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Okay, my mouth is watering. I have chick peas on my grocery list, and this page is in my favorites.
Thank you.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I blend chick peas, garlic and a dash of lemon juice.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:51 AM

I use chick peas, not the beans that you suggest. Perhaps that is the difference?