Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fruit Cake >

Fruit Cake

Fruit Cake

Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Fruit Cake

I personally LOVE a good fruit cake .I know a lot of you may not but here's my recipe . 2 boxes banana nut bread mix ,4 eggs,2 cups water ,1/2 cup oil , Mix all those together ,add 1 small tub each of candied pineapple , green cherries , red cherries ,& mixed candied fruit ,add 2 cups chopped walnuts ,put into paper lined over sized muffin tins filling about 1/2 inch from the top . Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool on rack until room temperature . I wrap mine in plastic wrap , twist the bottom closed & put a piece of tape across the bottom to keep the plastic air tight . Throw into gallon bags & freeze .This makes about 20 muffins . Thaw out when you want one & tastes like it was just baked . I just made mine up today for Thanksgiving & tomorrow I will do the fudges ,wrap in plastic , then wrap in foil , another Thanksgiving dessert done !
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Sounds good. I used to get, as I know others did, a fruit cake every Christmas. One year my mother got one to give me. I was wanting a snack and she had just gotten a first microwave. I sliced a some pieces for me and the boys and nuked them. Put a little whipped cream on it and it was great. That cake was gone by the end of the week. Fastest any fruit cake went in our family. I still like to get one every once in awhile but now I cut into individual servings and store in a freezer box.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 AM

Thanks for your recipe Krissy. Fruitcake reminds me of my Grandma Rose who used to always send us fruitcake for Christmas. It's a great idea to make them in oversized muffin pans for individual gifts.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 PM

I'm a big fan of fruitcake thanks.........
Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 PM

I put my fruit to soak in bourbon the day after Halloween--three weeks later I bake the cakes and allow them to age. Goodness! It's almost that time!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Love fruit cake!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:39 PM

We made a lot of fruit cake when I was young I love it.....my mom would bake it early and fall and freeze some for gifts one she wrap it in cheese cloth keep it in the cool pantry and pour a shot of burbon over it about once a week till Christmas......I almost remember the first Christmas I got to have some of that one.......

I love a good homemade fruit cake.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 PM

I love it too! Homemade is the best..not the junk with all of the preservatives they try to pass off as "fruitcake". It gives fruitcake a bad name.

In the years that I dont make mine from scratch, i order one from the Monks in Ava, Missouri. They have a website. Theirs taste like mine! I bought the Harry & David Dark last year, it was good too. It takes up an 8-10 hour day to make them.they bake for hours in a 200 degree oven because of the density. One reason that I don't bake them every year...the time! But oh so good.

Sandy
Old 10-11-2014, 04:39 AM

My mom baked two batches each year, one large batch of drk. and one batch of light. After baking, they were cooled, wrapped in muslin dish towels and placed in tins. These were made in early fall. Then every week or so, they were sprinkled with wine. I think she used the clothes sprinkler head that usually lived on an old ketchup bottle. By Christmas time, they were moist and well aged and yummy. I have never understood the anti-fruitcake campaign every year during the holidays. Makes me sick to see Fruitcake tosses and the like. They cost a fortune to make, only to be thrown through the air?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:13 AM

My mom made them until a few years ago. I'd let mine sit in the fridge until Easter...it was like eating candy! Tessagin putting it in the microwave then adding whipped cream sounds yummy! Never thought of that.
Thanks for this recipe. It's way different than Mom's, but just the thought of fruit cake is making my mouth water!